FORUMS: list search recent posts

The Future of DBeta

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Macadamia
The Future of DBeta
on Mar 13, 2006 at 3:44:04 pm

I have the opportunity to purchase a used DigiBeta machine (DVW500) on pretty favorable terms. My question is do you think, given the changing broadcast landscape, that investing in DigiBeta is a wise decision.

That's the quick, general version of my question. Specifically, I don't need a DigiBeta machine, I'd like one. I'm a Director/DP and edit primarily for myself; personal projects, spec jobs, demo reels, that sort of thing. I do have a couple of paying editorial clients but they seem fine with the Beta SP quality I've been delivering. I can't afford to invest in high end HD equipment but feel I need to begin moving away from the analogue world. The DBeta offer is tempting but perhaps some of you might have other thoughts about going digital; DVCPro 50, Digital -S, DVCAM. Anyone care to weigh in on this?

Return to posts index

Frank Nolan
Re: The Future of DBeta
on Mar 13, 2006 at 6:52:49 pm

Just do some simple math and work out whether it's worth the purchase. i.e.
How much to rent a deck?
How much to buy the deck?
How often do you actually receive Digibeta tapes?
How often do you need to layback to Digibeta?
If it's something you would use on a daily basis then it'll probably pay for itself. If you only use it once a month it's probably better to rent.

Return to posts index

Jon Zanone
Re: The Future of DBeta
on Mar 15, 2006 at 2:24:41 pm

Another thing to consider is how many hours are on the head. I've heard (I don't use digib) that they are VERY expensive to replace. If you can take it to a qualified repair shop, I'd do that.

Jon

"So you want to throw out the old you - but the old you is old enough to know it won't make it better"
Del Amitri - "Make it Better"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]