FORUMS: list search recent posts

Digital delivery for On air playback

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony Miles
Digital delivery for On air playback
on Mar 10, 2006 at 7:04:39 am

Dear cow pro's,
I was looking for advice on digital delivery formats, i.e non tape based delivery of media to TV stations for on air TV commercial playback. A client want's to elminate shipping charges for long distance delivery.

Is there a standard format, an mpeg of sorts that most TV stations would recognize and air, instead of sending a Beta SP dub? Would the quality hold up?

I use FCP 5, is there a software plugin to export if it is not a general mpeg format?

Thanks for the advice,
Anthony Miles

Return to posts index

Frank Nolan
Re: Digital delivery for On air playback
on Mar 10, 2006 at 8:34:30 pm

The only people that can really answer that is the Station/s you are delivering to. Call them and find out what their delivery requirements are.

Return to posts index

Anthony MIles
on Mar 10, 2006 at 8:50:10 pm

Thank you, I will.

Return to posts index

Tower Guy
on Mar 12, 2006 at 11:15:19 am

There are services that do this for a fee. VYVX, DG systems, and Fastchannel are three examples.

Return to posts index

Matte
on Mar 12, 2006 at 2:42:20 pm

[Tower Guy] "There are services that do this for a fee."

[Anthony Miles] "A client want's to elminate shipping charges for long distance delivery."

Saving a "fee" is what started this thread.

;-)

Return to posts index

Anthony Miles
on Mar 12, 2006 at 3:26:19 pm

Thank you very much for your replies. Is it a standard or "not so standard" practice to deliver in mpeg 2?

Return to posts index

Matte
on Mar 12, 2006 at 3:52:16 pm

[Anthony Miles] "Is it a standard or "not so standard" practice to deliver in mpeg 2?"

NOT standard.

You must remember that if you decide to "transfer" a :30 digital spot via the internet, it can take an hour or more to send a compressed file.

I don't know how you charge for your time and gear, but adding an hour to the bill would look a lot higher to a client than a delivery fee.
Another method is to "post" your spot on your own FTP site (if you have one) and have the station(s) "download it" from you, but I'd still charge for that service.

Beta dubs are still the most common deleivery method for broadcast.

And, as was said earlier, you'd have to get the station to agree to do any of this.

Return to posts index

seamus
on Mar 14, 2006 at 5:48:47 am

I produce dozens of TVC's (simple AE graphical 15' TVC's) and deliver with a file burnt to a CD. It is broadcast standard file and the company we deliver to imports it and feeds it out to the relevant stations across the country via its own broadband network. Ok there is a cost. Dunno what though. But might be cheaper than shipping tapes around a country.
I'm based in Australia, but I'm sure a similar company exists in the US. (Which I am assuming your from).

http://www.adstream.com.au

This is the company that does it for us. If its worth anything to find out about.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]