FORUMS: list search recent posts

RAID advice needed, please

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Guy
RAID advice needed, please
by
on Mar 3, 2006 at 6:01:20 pm

I had a 2 drive RAID with 2 IBM Desktar 80GB 7200 rpm 8MB cache drives.

I planned to replace them with 2 Maxtor Diamond Max 10 250GB 7200 rpm 16MB cache drives.

problem is the retailer sent me one 250GB and one 300GB drives.

I went ahead and RAID'd them using Apple Disk utility anyway. It seems to have worked.

Question 1: Can I RAID drives of two different sizes reliably with no performance issues? I am ok with loosing some disk space in the RAID process.

Problem: Before I removed my old RAID I used XBench and did a benchmark on the RAID.
When I installed the new RAID I benchmarked that, and the Read rate was SLOWER on the new Maxtor RAID.
Keep in mind, the old RAID was 2/3 full and the new RAID was empty.

Why is this? Both sets of drives are 7200 rpm IDE drives, both had jumpers set to cable select. The newer Maxtor drives have larger 16MB cache, shouldn't this make them FASTER?

I am running Mac OSX 10.3.9 on my Dual 1ghz PowerMac using the on board IDE cables (no card)

any answers, help or advice would really, really be appreciated. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Matt Larson
Re: RAID advice needed, please
on Mar 31, 2006 at 8:14:06 pm

[Guy] "Question 1: Can I RAID drives of two different sizes reliably with no performance issues? I am ok with loosing some disk space in the RAID process."

Yes. The RAID will format based on the smallest drive, so you will loose some storage space, but otherwise this is fine to do.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]