Wireless video camera output

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eli7
Wireless video camera output
by
on Feb 25, 2006 at 9:54:53 pm

Hi,

I am trying to plan a live video show. Filming a live performence on stage with wireless video cameras. Sending the camera's output to a pc-application. Doing some processing on this data and showing the output on 2 screens which are also on the stage.

I am trying to find the video cameras which I can use for this sort of thing ???

Tnx

Eli7

Return to posts index

Mag One
Re: Wireless video camera output
on Feb 26, 2006 at 4:09:02 am

I would like to learn the same???

Alex

Return to posts index

Matte
on Feb 27, 2006 at 3:22:02 am

I'm going to say that anyone who is "blessed" with working with wireless MICS every day is not going to want anything to do with a wireless CAMERA.

YIKES!

Return to posts index

Salman Waheed
on Apr 21, 2009 at 2:11:46 am

As I have mentioned my name Salman I live in Pakistan. I want to start a new website where I will live broadcast Jhumma Player (its a two hour religious player in a week in Islam) Please tell me which cameras and other equipment will be best for me I don't need too much quality I can use DV handycams too? which video switcher will be best for me. Plzz guide me about it. Thanks

Return to posts index

Erik Mitchell
on Feb 27, 2006 at 5:30:13 am

Alright.
To expand on what Matte had to say.. Wireless video cameras would suck! the bandwidth required for this would be higher than what technology is out (AFAIK). If there was something that you found, it would be compressing your video which you probably would not really want.
Why do you want these to be wireless? You can just run two video lines to the stage, which in most cases, would be MUCH easier than the configuration time that would go into a wireless setup (assuming there is such a thing!)
Give more of an idea of why you want this; we could probably point out a better solution.

Enjoy.

Return to posts index

Frank Nolan
on Feb 27, 2006 at 10:25:24 am

It's not so much a "Wireless camera" that you need but more a wireless transmitter that you could attach to the camera to send a video signal out of the camera to a receiver set up next to your PC NLE. I would call around a few rental houses or broadcast specialty facilities in your area to see what they have available. This link has some interesting products.
http://www.spystuff.com/SHOP/index.html

Return to posts index

Matte
on Feb 27, 2006 at 4:30:09 pm

The problem is in MOVING AROUND.
The multi-path (RF reflections and odd signal paths "around" objects) make wireless video very unstable/unreliable.

I say this for MICS as well.
If you want it to WORK... use a CABLE.

I think I need to print and market BUMPER-STICKERS that say,

"Well, it worked GREAT at the REHEARSAL..."

I could make a fortune!

Return to posts index

Frank Nolan
on Feb 27, 2006 at 10:33:51 am

[Erik Mitchell] "the bandwidth required for this would be higher than what technology is out (AFAIK)"

Ahh, how do you think you received your television signal before cable or satellite came along?

Return to posts index

Erik Mitchell
on Feb 27, 2006 at 3:32:16 pm

touche

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 27, 2006 at 4:41:58 pm

Fox Sports (or is it NBC Sports now ?) does this sort of thing all the time for NASCAR races. It's also done regularly when network news operations cover political conventions

You might want to check out back issues of Broadcast Engineering; they occasionally do profiles on engineering applications.

Be warned: this is network-level stuff. They HAVE to have a signal from those race cars and those cameras on the convention floor, and they do what it takes to get it... and that means deep pockets. If you're trying to do it on a shoestring, you can expect big problems.

That's one of the reasons why you don't see it done very often.

Return to posts index

Matte
on Feb 27, 2006 at 6:07:05 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "Be warned: this is network-level stuff. They HAVE to have a signal from those race cars and those cameras on the convention floor, and they do what it takes to get it... and that means deep pockets. If you're trying to do it on a shoestring, you can expect big problems."

Its generally a MICROWAVE signal (like from News helicopters) and it is still very problematic.

No, this is not the venue of the "budget-conscious".

Return to posts index

Frank Otto
on Feb 27, 2006 at 7:04:22 pm

Generally now, the microwave process used is COFDM, (Coded Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing ) a digital scheme that virtualy eliminates the phenominom know as multiplexing. Once you get a signal lock it stays locked with out ghosting, fade and fall-off. Especially useful in arenas, convention halls and the like.

As Dave notes...this stuff isn't consumer or even pro-sumer. It will set you back 8 - to - 20k$ per link including secondary control links for iris, ped, gains, return video and p.l.

Even with all the advances, two weeks ago NASCAR couldn't get the in-car working - the helicopter used as the main recieve unit was grounded due to weather below min. safe ceiling. Rumor is that the in-car guys are looking at using an "aerostat" (a mini blimp with a platform under it) tethered to the ground on by a 900' cable.

Cheers,

Frank Otto

Return to posts index

Erik Mitchell
on Feb 27, 2006 at 7:19:11 pm

i love this forum; i learn something new every day!

Return to posts index

Charlie King
on Mar 1, 2006 at 5:18:40 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "Fox Sports (or is it NBC Sports now ?) does this sort of thing all the time for NASCAR races."

And here I was wondering how they got a 500 mile camera cable wound around the track.

Charlie

Return to posts index

Frank Otto
on Mar 1, 2006 at 5:32:11 pm

At long last it can be revealed how we used to do it at CBS.

Back in the day we used to follow one car with a video truck and drop off the 2" Quad to a runner as the truck drove down pit road.

Creative cutting of the live signal kept the truck out of the picture. But in 1968 "NEMO 2a" won Daytona - the truck got accidently ahead of Cale Yarbrough - luckilly the shot was from the truck as Cale crossed the line so the viewers at home didn't know...

(is it April 1 yet?)

Cheers,

Frank Otto

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 1, 2006 at 11:53:41 pm

I think I remember that. Donnie Allison and Junior Johnson almost sued the network because the camera truck blocked them in the pits.

As Allison and Johnson left the pits, the video truck was ahead of them. A reel of quad tape fell out the back of the truck, dented Allison's hood as he swerved to miss it, Johnson almost rear-ended Allison and scraped the pit wall, and they both lost a few seconds.

It was their final pit stop, and they claimed the truck cost them a potential win. Since the truck was ahead of the Cale Yarbrough's car at the finish line, it cost them a win in more ways than one.

That's the race you're talking about, right? :-)

Return to posts index

Frank Otto
on Mar 2, 2006 at 4:04:58 pm

Yes...it's the stuff of urban legend.

Sweeps over, eh Dave? I have no excuse - I've got a full plate of promos.

And yet, here we are...

Cheers,

Frank Otto

Return to posts index

stephen
on Feb 27, 2006 at 6:04:23 pm

I did this last year with the Seagram's Live tour. 24 cities and 24 different clubs. I use 2.4GHZ transmitters and receivers from Markertek fed the signals into a Tricaster from NewTek and outputed wireless signals to a stage projector and several plasmas located around the venues.

Of course line of sight is important for transmitterws and receivers but it was done very successfully.

E-mail me offline for complete details

Stephen Jackson
RoaDDoggZ productions
http://www.roaddoggz.com

Return to posts index

Matte
on Feb 27, 2006 at 7:46:33 pm

Yeah, like we said, no problem.
Everything works great.

Now, just give me a few days to get the bumper stickers printed.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]