FORUMS: list search recent posts

Projecting DV content

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aanarav Sareen
Projecting DV content
on Feb 23, 2006 at 8:21:37 pm

Hi all,
A couple of years ago I produced a video for a client of mine and they really loved what I gave them. Now, it has been three years and they want to use the product that I made 3 years ago and project it on a large screen (around 60 inches or so). Now, my question is: although this was originally shot in SD DV, will there be a significant reduction in quality when projected on a large screen? Most of the footage is shot in the dark with minimal lighting (which is what the client wanted) and my initial guess says that there might be a few image degradation issues that I might have to deal with.

So, if there does turn out to be a significant loss of quality, what can I do to eliminate part of the problem?

Aanarav Sareen, ACE
Adobe Certified Expert, Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

Matte
Re: Projecting DV content
on Feb 23, 2006 at 11:42:27 pm

I project DV footage all the time.

SD is SD. And a clean DV can look VERY nice in an SD projection.

(Heck, we used to project VHS, and THAT is LOW-rez!)

OTOH, the kind of IMAGE you DESCRIBED will probably NOT look so good.

Attempting to project a "very dark" image with "low lighting" will not hold up well.

But you won't KNOW until you try it.

Return to posts index

Matte
on Feb 24, 2006 at 3:37:11 am

As I was viewing a movie on my 7-foot projection screen, I thought I should add that "DV" is MUCH LESS COMPRESSED than "DVD".

And DVD's are probably the "most-projected" format in SD today.
Good DVDs look sensational when projected.

But, as was said before, the fact that your project is DARK will be the biggest problem.

LCD/DLP projectors have limited contrast (compared to direct-view screens) and "too dark" is not easy for them to handle.

Return to posts index

Aanarav Sareen
on Mar 2, 2006 at 5:51:29 am

Thanks for the info. We ran a test screening and it turned out to be OK. Nothing impressive, but we are going to try and color-correct some of the content, so that we can view it better.

Thanks,
Aanarav

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]