FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tech Reports & Audio Levels

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Xtothed
Tech Reports & Audio Levels
on Feb 10, 2006 at 5:44:48 pm

Hi all,

I have two queries...that in some ways are related.

I have edited and dumped down a TV commerical onto Beta SP, PAL 16:9 - via Final Cut Pro, Blackmagic Decklink and into the UWP 1800.

My audio levels in FCP are set to - 18db. That is for the bars and tone, as well as the commercial peaking at just over this level as well. I then set this level upto 4 on my PPMs and into the Beta Recorder. It does look a low on the Beta's levels and I have had complaints about the level being low on the tape. Am I doing all of this correctly? How can I assure that the -18db in Final Cut is -18bd on the tape.

Secondly - the tech report - I have a tech reports with aspect ratio, programme codes, audio levels etc. - which I fill out accordingly. But I obviously I am not sure that what I am putting, in regard the audio especially, is correct. On top of this, in order for the commercial to be broadcast, I transfer the Beta SP to Digi Beta with another company. They are acting as the quality control at the moment (with regards the sound) but obviously I want to make sure I am giving them the right information and content on the tape.

Hope someone can help - I will also post this in the Blackmagic and FCP forums.

Thank you.

Xavier

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Tech Reports & Audio Levels
on Feb 10, 2006 at 10:46:32 pm

You're trying to equate FCP's digital audio to Beta SP's analog audio, and they are very different. Digital audio has far less headroom, so the settings are different. Analog audio is far more forgiving.

To begin with, you want your audio level at -20DB in FCP, not -18. Send your Beta deck -20DB tone, set the meters on the deck for Zero DB, and you should be good to go, and everything on your tech report should fall into place..

Return to posts index

Peter Perry
on Feb 10, 2006 at 11:55:07 pm

And one other thing, in FCP you should be mixing your levels to just under 0dBfs, WITHOUT going into the red at all. If you go into the red, back it off until you don't.
Peter

Return to posts index

tak1108
on Feb 14, 2006 at 3:39:50 pm

So you set the tone in FCP to -20dbfs. Then mix your audio to just under 0 dbfs.

Is that correct? Or will you then have clipping when the station or wherever sets their analog meters to 0 dB while your program will be mixed at +20dB?

Please confirm asap.

Thanks guys!!!!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 14, 2006 at 4:28:49 pm

Set your tone in FCP to -20dB. Playing the tone in FCP, set your deck's meters to 0dB or 0VU.

Figure out how to monitor your FCP audio mix through the deck's meters; you may be able to simply hit the record button on the deck. Your mix in FCP can peak above zero on the deck's meters... it's now analog audio, which has more headroom.

On my Sony 1800, which has VU meters, I can peak to +1VU, no problem... anything above that, problems will arise.

Return to posts index

amheus
on Feb 17, 2006 at 1:45:21 pm

sure - equate neg 20 db on fcp to o-level (vu) on you deck, most broadcasters restrict any material to peaking 8db above reference,
sooooo, you fcp meters should never peak above -12 db(if you're reference at (-20db) - peak hold is useful here. Long term - invest in a pair of hardware ppms, they're invaluable.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]