FORUMS: list search recent posts

Still camera flash into the lens of the digibeta camera might ruin it

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel5000
Still camera flash into the lens of the digibeta camera might ruin it
on Jan 28, 2006 at 6:02:09 pm

Hello all

During a recent shoot I had a shot which had the actor stand in front of the camera raise a digital still camera into frame, point it strait into the lens of the digibeta camera and take a picture using the flash.

The cameraman didn

Return to posts index

R. Hewitt
Re: Still camera flash into the lens of the digibeta camera might ruin it
on Jan 30, 2006 at 11:43:56 am

Yes he could well be.

In the days of tubed cameras, bright lights could damage the phosphors on the front of the tubes.

In earlier CCD chips, bright lights left vertical smearing. This has reduced largely to changes in technology and the way the CCD is accessed. However, intense bright light of the type created by a flash gun at close range into the lens is focused into a tight beam straight onto the CCD. It is entirely possible that this could damage the chip and with the cost of a DigiBeta camera, the cameraman is right to be concerned.

You will often see flash lights in news stories but very rarely will one be aimed straight down the lens.

The same of course applies to direct sunlight.

Return to posts index

Daniel5000
on Jan 30, 2006 at 11:48:25 am

Ok
Good to know.

Many Thanks
Daniel

Return to posts index

Richard Allen
on Feb 2, 2006 at 2:24:52 pm

Not that intense direct light is a common subject matter of mine, I do believe there are two ways to achieve the goal you where looking for. Some DP's I've work with use special filters when shooting directly in the sun. Rare, I know, it has come up. I'm sure that this application could be filtered properly but I wouldn't trust myself to do it, I would hope the person I'm paying would know enough to make it right.

The other thing is to add it in post. All most any editing software can add the effect with some amazing life like results.

Just My two cents.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]