FORUMS: list search recent posts

TO G5 Quad or not to G5 Quad? That is my question...

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
TO G5 Quad or not to G5 Quad? That is my question...
on Jan 25, 2006 at 10:23:05 pm

I have a need for a new edit machine capable of HD Uncompressed10 bit rendering and encoding. I have two G5 Dual FCP 5.0 edit suites and I am getting an MCR installed. However, I don't have an available Capture/Logging station to drive the MCR when I have both edit suites booked.
If I get a G5 Guad 4 now I'll save on downtime in one of my HD edit suites caused by sluggish renders/encodes. That cumulative save in down time adds up over time and essentially pays for the machine. I would bump down the G5 Dual currently in my edit bay to the edit/Log station.

Is it worth biding my time for 6 months for the guys at Mac to put out a desktop PC with the intel chips? Will they release a Quad intel processor at the same time as the desktop?

Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated!!!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: TO G5 Quad or not to G5 Quad? That is my question...
on Jan 26, 2006 at 1:12:40 am

It sounds like you already have your answer.

You have problem which you can solve by getting equipment right now. Since you'd still have a use for the old equipment, your workflow improves. To me, purchasing one machine now seems like a wise decision.

I certainly don't know what those semi-fine folks in Cupertino have up their sleeves in terms of Intel-based Macs, and I wouldn't be surprised to learn that those who might know can't say.

But I wouldn't get two machines... just the one. Let's say Apple actually does come up with some blisteringly-fast, multi-Intel-processor equipment in the near future; you have a second suite that could benefit from an upgrade, yes? In the interim, you will have been able to take advantage of improved speed and workflow with the purchase you make now.

And you could then retire the G5 Dual.

Boy, I wish I were in your shoes; I'm using a G4 dual, with no upgrade for the foreseeable future.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved