FORUMS: list search recent posts

Simultaneous Digbeta Clone and Beta Dubs issue

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Klinger
Simultaneous Digbeta Clone and Beta Dubs issue
on Jan 21, 2006 at 2:27:47 am

I've got a super videogeek issue. Hope someone can follow this. Ready. . .

We can make a Beta SP dub from Digibeta A500 to our BVW70 -- no problem. Component video feed, 4 channels of analog audio, patch time code staright across. Both machines locked to video ref. Perfect.

We can make a Digibeta Clone from our J30SDI to A500 via sdi for digital video and audio, and patch time code seperately. Both machine locked to video ref. Perfect.

We don't make beta dubs from our J30sdi, because (GOTCHA) the unit does not have component out and the unit (GOTCHA AGAIN) only outputs 2 channels of analog out.

We like to be able to make a Digibeta clone and a Beta sp dub at the same time. So it seems (seemed) reasonable to set up for a digibeta clone from the J30SDI to the A500 and then simultaneously pull the component feed and the analog audio feed from the A500 and feed it to the beta deck -- basically looping through the A500. Distribute the time code, all three decks locked to video ref.

The end result however is quite unexpeted. The clone comes out fine. The beta dub when played back on the bvw75 plays back with all 4 of its audio fine, but the picture is sometimes but not always jittery and weird. It also has a weird offset video bar that you can see when the monitor is underscanned. As a furhter oddity, the beta dub when played in the a500 plays back FINE visually, but plays ONLY the first two of its audio tracks!

All dubs made in any other way except this work flow work fine in all scenarios, so I do not believe that we have deck problems.

Anybody know what the heck is going on?

Return to posts index

Charlie King
Re: Simultaneous Digbeta Clone and Beta Dubs issue
on Jan 23, 2006 at 11:03:44 pm

Not sure if I am really on track here, (been awhile for me) but lets see if I can at least give some idea that will start to make sense.
My first thought is that the loop through which is from digital in to analog out is using the confidence head for the output. This would make it difficult for the machine to output the audio from all 4 channels since two channels are played back from the playback video heads. Again this is only a wild guess, but recording from teh confidence heads would add a delay to the video playback compared to sync.

Does any of this make any sense at all? Been 10 years since I was working with a system similar to what you are describing.

Charlie

ProductionKing Video Services
Unmarked Door Productions
Flamingo Las Vegas Hotel
Las Vegas, Nevada

Return to posts index

Del Holford
on Jan 25, 2006 at 1:47:48 pm

Makes sense to me since the JH3 was designed as a "viewing machine" analogous to the BVW-25 back in the day. Recording in analog from a digital machine in record is not good quality control.

Del
fire*, smoke*, photoshopCS
Charlotte Public Television

Return to posts index

Michael Klinger
on Jan 25, 2006 at 6:11:34 pm

Agreed
Thanks for the input
We are setting it up a different way now.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]