FORUMS: list search recent posts

I don't understand...please explain

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
FWedit
I don't understand...please explain
on Jan 18, 2006 at 3:40:24 pm

Our video engineer is having trouble getting our studio cameras to match. They are Hitachi cameras and CCUs. He says that the Echolab switcher we use negates any correction he makes at the CCU. He mentioned something about

Return to posts index

Jon Zanone
Re: I don't understand...please explain
on Jan 18, 2006 at 5:50:28 pm

You are correct. It sounds like your engineer is either lazy or doesn't know what they are doing. Switchers can certainly affect the signal (it's in the engineering menu in most systems). If you can get another engineer in, do.

Jon

"So you want to throw out the old you - but the old you is old enough to know it won't make it better"
Del Amitri - "Make it Better"

Return to posts index

Paul Thurston
on Jan 18, 2006 at 7:00:04 pm

The CCU appears to be locked out. This means that the buttons on the chassis of the CCU will not operate until somebody goes into the CCU menu and unlocks the keys and knobs. Only then you'll be able to make changes to the CCU and notice the adjustments on the video outputs. This is usually done to avert accidental changes to the operating parameters once the CCU has been correctly adjusted.

Regards,
-Paul

Return to posts index

FWedit
on Jan 18, 2006 at 8:00:15 pm

Could this be the case if we can see the changes on the scopes?

Return to posts index

Chuck Reti
on Jan 18, 2006 at 8:14:20 pm

Could it be that your tech is simply monitoring and tweaking the encoded composite output of the camera chain?
Adjusting composite chroma phase or level won't change the analog component values being fed to the switcher. Camera setup and match adjustments using a chip chart, and using RGB black, white and gamma to achieve match should be reflected properly along all the signal path(s) from CCU component out thru the switcher. IIRC, the CCU should offer some generated test signals for this purpose as well. If not, something is happening along the way. Are there patchbays or DA's between the CCU outputs and the switcher inputs? Do signal levels at the CCU match those at the switcher inputs and/or outputs. Are the internal switcher setups correct per maintanance manual? Sounds like a bit of simple test and measurement and setup is in order through the system.

Return to posts index

FWedit
on Jan 19, 2006 at 2:00:54 pm

Thanks for your insight. I wish I could answer these questions, but I've never seen the flow chart for the room. You have, however, armed me with some key info.

The engineer has now opened up the CCUs and made some adjustments to the output from the controls on the internal board.
He claims that the cameras match...more testing to be done today, so we'll see.

Thanks to all

Return to posts index

tony salgado
on Jan 20, 2006 at 9:09:02 am

Locking the signal maybe he meant genlocking the camera which is necessary for proper timing into the switcher.

If the CCU's, switcher etc are not genlocked together than regardless what you do at the CCU's the resulting images on the switcher will be out of phase and not only will the cameras not match but you will experience image roll or horizontal movement side to side when you attempt to cut or dissolve between the non genlocked sources.

Is your switcher a composite, component or SDI model? What are you feeding out of the CCU's to the switcher composite, component, SDI?

What CCU output signal is your video controller (camera shader) using for shading the cameras composite, component or SDI?

When you view bars generated out of the CCU are the video and chroma levels at unity? What about when viewed out of the switcher is it at unity also?

One last thing to check if the signal path out of the CCU the composite and component levels made be mismatched so what you see on one output does not match the other. Generally you should have no problem using the composite outputs to match camera but record the component output to tape. If both outputs are aligned properly and are at unity they will match in terms of video level, black level, chroma level.

Tony Salgado

Return to posts index

FWedit
on Jan 20, 2006 at 1:59:56 pm

The cameras have genlock and are in phase. no roll or shift occurs.

The switcher is SDI and we are feeding component from the CCUs to a "module" card in the Ecolab. I don't know if there is anything else in the path. (DA perhaps?)

I assume that all of the monitoring is being done using the composite out. I'm not sure of the exact path here either but there is a router that feeds the scopes.

Until Wednesday when he opened up the CCUs and made some adjustments to the controls on the card, the color bars did not match. I am told they match now. I have not seen it for myself yet, but lets hope they do.

Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]