FORUMS: list search recent posts

Closed Captioning solution for a church.....

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
postman
Closed Captioning solution for a church.....
on Dec 29, 2005 at 4:42:36 pm

I hope this is the place for this question...

What would you suggest for a closed captioning solution?

I direct/edit a weekly tape delayed service. I use a Matrox Digisuite LE with Premiere 6.5 going to a Beta SP UVW1800 (I know...ugh,) but this is what I have for now. I hope to be updating SOON. Either FCP or PPro. I prefer FCP and will recommend it when given the opportunity.

I've never done closed captioning before so this new FCC requirement is in uncharted territory for me. As this is my part-time job, I need an easy, reliable and fast system for this. Is there a software only solution for my NLE? (Remember I hope on be on a MAC soon.)
Or should I look at an encoder that does this downstream of the NLE?

Any recommendations????

I see that a similar question has been asked below, but didn't quite give the answer I was looking for.

Return to posts index

Matt Sowder
Re: Closed Captioning solution for a church.....
on Dec 29, 2005 at 5:21:59 pm

easy solution? no... I've been scrambling myself and it seems that you'll get a dozen different answers for what boils down to the same thing... I've seen Mac Only software... google Closed Caption Software... they used to be Leapfrog... and it will be the only one for the Mac that I saw... You'll have to go over your hardware situation with all the vendors to find out what is best for your set up. You are VERY close to what I have. I edit on Media100... Mac Caption is not best for me (about 2.5 times my budget)... but you being a not for profit may be at an advantage I don't have... I'm looking into EZPrompter Pro with caption module and encoder... Simple teleprompter software module. If you have a prompter head this might effectively kill two birds with one stone... good luck... I'd start digging now...

Return to posts index

debe
by
on Dec 29, 2005 at 8:31:47 pm

Double check the regulation. As a non-profit, you may not be required to supply the closed captioning.

There was a thread on this in the FCP forum a while back. I don't recall the details, as it doesn't directly apply to my work.

These may be hoops you don't need to jump through.

debe

Return to posts index

postman
on Dec 29, 2005 at 9:30:49 pm

Matt.. thanks for the reply. I did read your previous post and the accompanying thread. We really don't have a need for a prompter as our service is live to tape. I just edit for time and add name supers, open, close etc.... However, our pastor is wanting to do more. A prompter might be the thing to do. Like someone said earlier "Kill 2 birds with 1 stone."

debe, I hope you are right.

The TV Station that I work for (my fulltime job) informs me that we will probably have to do it. When you put decisions in the hands of lawyers and the government.... well.... it goes without saying.

Does anyone have a link to the FCC site that has this info? I will start some digging and see if I can find it.

In the mean time, any other suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks, postman

Return to posts index

Stan Timek
on Dec 29, 2005 at 10:29:45 pm

A quick search on the FCC site produced this document:

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/closedcaption.html

Have a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year!

Stan

Stan Timek

Pollywog Theater

Return to posts index

debe
by
on Dec 30, 2005 at 4:01:25 am

From the "Exemptions" section of the link supplied by Stan:

"locally produced and distributed non-news programming with no repeat value (e.g., parades and school sports);"

Is this a church service that is cable-cast once a week? I'd think that would qualify...but of course, the lawyers probably get final say...unless they dust 'em off and play them back a few months later.

I'd perhaps send a message to the contact person in that link.

debe

Return to posts index

Golf Guy
on Dec 31, 2005 at 12:05:08 am

If you do ask for an extension, and or a pass on closed caption from the FCC be prepared to have your "i's" dotted and "t's" crossed when you submit your paperwork. Then be willing to wait at least 30 days before they begin the review your paperwork and another 15-30 days for an answer. As mentioned above there is no easy and inexprensive solution to close caption. However, in your case you might want to consider voice recognition software, because it doesn't seem like you folks script much, if anything at all. Another alternative is to work a deal with a local captioning service (someone at your station should who does it in your market) and have them do it. They will based thier quote on the number of shows you produce each year. Good Luck!

Return to posts index

Golf Guy
on Jan 1, 2006 at 4:42:52 pm

"Programing provided by program providers with annual gross revenues under $3 million" are exempt."

Interesting! Nothing was ever mentioned regarding the above to us when we spent over an hour on the phone with the FCC back in November. They did say that you could file for an extension of time to convert, but nothing was ever mentioned about revenue. If this is the case, I could have spent the $10,000.00-plus elsewhere in my company.

Return to posts index

Knite20
on Jan 3, 2006 at 8:35:20 pm

If you find you are not exempt, Then the less expensive simple solution we found is a small shop in Maryland. Walter of CCMaker.com was awesome to work with and spent ample time with me to help us get up and running, For under $3,000. His program is simple to use and works quickly once the content is transcribed.
We found an enoder for $800 the PCE 845 from Link. Anyway works like a charm, and it's nice to talk to the actual creator of the product rather than a sales team or hireling. He can also do the full caption work for $200 that's less than anywhere I found.
Walter can be reached at 1-800-527-0551 or wgallant@CCmaker.com

Good Luck
Drew from Salt Lake.

As for the exemptions, we were told the "3 million dollar" referred to the station airing(providing) the program, not neccesarily the 'provider' of the content. We found we were exempt in two of our smaller markets, but still needed to caption for SLC.

Return to posts index

Golf Guy
on Jan 4, 2006 at 2:16:24 am

Drew,

I'm glad to hear that you found a solution. We too have purchased a newsroom-based sfotware that allows us to to close captions in conjuction with the Link 854d. All told, this system set us back $4,100.00 (US). In addition, we get a more accurate picture on back timing our programs. Now I just have to get use to running a prompter! Wow...where has my career gone?

Return to posts index

Kerry
on Dec 31, 2005 at 6:33:17 pm

"Programing provided by program providers with annual gross revenues under $3 million" are exempt.

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/closedcaption.html

KB

Return to posts index

debe
by
on Dec 31, 2005 at 6:37:35 pm

I'm bettin' THAT'S the answer postman was looking for! Now you just have to ask the pastor about "revenue".

Thanks, Kerry!

debe

Return to posts index

postman
on Jan 3, 2006 at 5:26:09 pm

Thanks folks for all the answers and suggestions. I'm not sure what we are going to do yet, but we'll keep at it until we can get an answer either way.

Thanks again,
postman

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]