FORUMS: list search recent posts

scan converters

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mikedel
scan converters
on Dec 21, 2005 at 10:03:40 pm

Hi all

i am now in the position to maintain the rack at my new place of work. It a pretty small rack that services 3 FCP systems one of those being an online suite with a Kona card, it has 1 digibeta, betasp, dvcam, 3/4, a couple VHS decks and DVD burners for dubs, now it also has a Videotech VTM 200 Switcher that outputs to our only monitor with in the rack which is a CRT via a SVGA cable, the picture on this monitor looks pretty saturated and not all that good. we would like to place an NTSC monitor on this rack, we have a Sony Trinitron PVM14L2 that my boss has requested we put in the rack. My question is what is the best way to go SVGA off the switcher into the NTSC monitor. I have been looking at scan convertors and they all seem to range in price and what they do so I am a little confused, we would not like to spend over 1000.00 to get this to work.

thanks in advance

Mike

Return to posts index

Matte
Re: scan converters
on Dec 21, 2005 at 11:49:17 pm

I would not recommend using a scan-convertor or an NTSC monitor from the SVGA device.
Converting SVGA to NTSC (especially with the fine details of a display) will never look "good".

I would add an additional SVGA computer monitor (CRT or LCD) and mount it (or sit it) anywhere I could find.

A production house where I work has done this very thing in all the suites. Each room has its own SVGA LCD screen running from an SVGA DA from the VTM-200's output.

The input feed to the VTM-200 is on the routing switcher.

Return to posts index

mikedel
on Dec 22, 2005 at 3:38:08 pm

ok thanks, that sounds like a better solution

Mike

Return to posts index

Mazuroo
on Dec 22, 2005 at 3:37:17 pm

Definitly do not convet from computer to NTSC; the result is always very poor. I would say, if you budget would allow, to go for a nice high end, wide aspect ratio monitor or even a plasma or LCD monitor. To help the color, get one the Spyder's from Colorvision (http://www.colorvision.com/products.shtml). They really do help to even out the oddities that you get with a LCD screen.

-tim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]