FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sleek multi-channel video monitoring

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kurt Schuette
Sleek multi-channel video monitoring
on Nov 28, 2005 at 5:41:41 pm

I need to put together some ideas for a way to monitor 4 video channels we are sending over satellite. Since I am just in the planning stage I will tell you what the ideal setup is that I have in mind...

-1 LCD or CRT monitor that can be divided into 4 quadrants for each video source.

-Audio monitoring (through a speaker) for each source

-visual audio vu meters within each video window for audio signal monitoring of each video signal even when I don't have the speaker turned up for that source

We are wanting to put this on a desk in the master control area we are working in so that we can immediatly catch any problems with the downlink from the satellite. The space is limited on the desk, so I need something fairly compact.

Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

Matte
Re: Sleek multi-channel video monitoring
on Nov 28, 2005 at 7:18:44 pm

There are many "quad-split" video generators available.

They are used in surveillance systems.

Just feed in 4 video sources and it outputs a real-time 4-way image that fits full-screen on a monitor.

For audio and scopes, use a Routing switcher.

Here's one> http://www.dvwarehouse.com/products/5742.html

Just Google " quad split generator" for more.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 30, 2005 at 7:39:26 pm

There was a broadcast solution for this, they used to advertise heavily for a time in TV Technology Magazine, but I tuned it out and have not seen it lately: it was set up to make an entire, dynamically configurable control rool monitor wall out of one big plasma screen... or for that matter, any CRT or projector source. Could include the audio VU meters, even title bars over each virtual monitor square to identify the sources, plus digital and/or analog clock displays. It was the shizzle for control rooms or homeland security monitoring rooms, etc. with much higher quality than the security-oriented splitter products. Of course, it would cost more too.

If I remember the name or see the ad again, I'll update this post. Meanwhile, if you go to the TV technology magazine web site, you might be able to track it down thru their advertiser pages.

Return to posts index

Jon Zanone
on Dec 1, 2005 at 12:08:42 pm

Miranda makes something like that called the Kalidascope. it's pretty nifty,and accepts whatever inputs you can throw at it. It might be pricey for your application, but it definitely has the cool factor...

Jon

Return to posts index

Del Holford
on Dec 5, 2005 at 2:35:17 pm

We use an older version of Kaleido from Miranda in our studio control and other than computer memory leaks and inconsistant performance, it does what it is supposed to do. I'm still waiting to hear from them when I talked with them at NAB. I think "buy the newer version" was their basic answer.

For you solution, there are others competing with Miranda who may serve your needs.

Del

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]