FORUMS: list search recent posts

Government Channel start-up

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
KTWilliams
Government Channel start-up
on Nov 19, 2005 at 1:35:26 am

I have been hired to start up a Government Channel in my county. There is no equipment - the slate is clean. The unit will, more or less, need to tape County Commissioner's meetings (not live...yet), create programming for government/community use and create training videos. If anyone has insights/advice/recommendations on equipment, procedures or any item I have failed to mention, it would be fully appreciated. Also, if anyone is involved in Government TV, please forward any advice unique to government TV. A really BIG thanks!

Return to posts index

Devin Crane
Re: Government Channel start-up
on Nov 19, 2005 at 1:54:42 pm

Depending on how long you will need to record for, one suggestion would be Sony Xdcam tapes and edit in Final Cut Pro with a MXF plugin. I've been using this and have been able to transfer the files at 2.5x realtime. The only negative is that in IMX 50 it will only record for 45 min and DVcam records 85min.

Return to posts index

KTWilliams
on Nov 19, 2005 at 2:54:34 pm

Most County meetings last 3 hours or so. I have used DVcam in the past but thought maybe going with DVCPro (any huge difference?). Final Cut Pro was a definite (IT Dept. seems to have issues dealing with Macs, so we will see). I will check out the Xdcam! Thanks

Return to posts index

Devin Crane
on Nov 19, 2005 at 5:14:37 pm

Xdcam may not be the best for your situation. Grass Valley makes a Harddrive (iVDR) recorder also that I believe you can edit from with a Mac. We installed our studio from scratch last year and wish that we would have gone more the disk recording route rather than tape.

Return to posts index

KTWilliams
on Nov 19, 2005 at 8:28:25 pm

What sort of setup do you guys have? Space is an issue for us at this time. Also, the budget is around $1.5 mil. That includes the new cameras/equipment for new boardroom & other "get us going in the broadcast arena". They even mentioned giving the cable station a tape (Beta/VHS) with our programming & letting them run the tape on a daily basis. Kinda gives you an idea of expectations. There is a lot to think about & right now, it's just me and my Director of Communications. It is very early in the process. I am headed to the Govt Video Conf. in DC to check out equipment. Thanks for the continued insights.

Return to posts index

Tony
by
on Nov 20, 2005 at 4:46:39 pm

KT,
I am the Government Channel Coordinator for a City in MASS, so I and fully understand where you are coming from.
Are you a non-profit access center or has the local city/town running it.
I'd be more then happy to discuss equipment and give what I can to you.
Email me back at tonym@newtv.org and we can discuss.
Good luck.
--Tony

Return to posts index

Doug
by
on Nov 21, 2005 at 7:07:10 pm

KT,

I've worked in Gov. video as well in Indianapolis, IN. Been out for awhile but I've got some ideas that might help you. My email addy is: dougc1369@yahoo.com.

Doug

Return to posts index

nightdesigns
on Nov 23, 2005 at 5:14:23 am

I work a city based channel, here is our current setup. This has been pieced together over several years (and several budgets).

Depending on how you want to do your playback, etc...

I recommend building your playback system around a Leightronix TCD/IP or the Nexus. The TCD/IP is an extrememly universal playback system, it's reliable and it's cheap. The nexus is a TCD/IP with a built in HD recorder.

We have the TCD/IP with a doremi for the recording playback. We went with this as Leightronix didn't have digital recorder at the time. We have an external raid array with 1.2 TB of space which let's us have about 100 hours of programming. We also have the ability to Record and Playback at the same time.

The TCD/IP controls a Sierra 32x32 router. This was an option. We have everything running in and out of this which makes dubbing easy and we can control all our routing for live, etc through the scheduling interface. Currently we have 5 DVD decks, 5 VHS decks, 2 DVCAM decks, 2 Beta decks, 2 are inputs for our switcher and the rest cover things like our web streaming, monitor routing, on air routing, hard patching. The edit stations are also wired through it for quick dubs and encoding. A neat thing about the TCD/IP is it is network based, and can be configured so that you can access it from home in case the channel goes down.

We master to DVCAM for everything. We have a Sony D-35 w/ a DSR-1 reccorder. This is a luxury, but it makes our live much easier. We have PD-150's as extra cameras. About to purchse a DSR-400 as a second broadcast camera. We use DSR-1800's for our "studio" and dub items. We have FCP systems for all our editing with DSR-45's for loading in and out.

For our council meetings. We have an older globecaster system which is a computer based switcher and graphics system. it's basic, but it's cheap. Connected to that are 5 Panasonic cameras with Remote Pan and Tilt heads.

For the bulletin board system we use SCALA. It's a glorified Power Point system, however it is designed to run 24 hours a day and you design your presentation on one computer and can send it to the "player." You don't have to take your player off-line to update or change it.

That's us in a nutshell. Please feel free to e-mail me at nightdesigns at yahoo dot com if you have any specific questions.

And now I must get back to my 6 hour council meeting!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]