FORUMS: list search recent posts

Eliminating ground loop video noise

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Krause
Eliminating ground loop video noise
on Nov 16, 2005 at 6:12:25 pm

I've got what I think is a ground loop issue in my video studio. When I patch the output from our edit bay into our large (consumer) client monitor I can see a noticeable horizontal band of light that slowly cycles through the display. (FWIW It's a Sony Grand 60" WEGA) It's very noticeable when using composite, slightly less whe using Y/C and still noticeable when using the component connections.

FWIW- the edit bay itself and all of the VTRs and monitors are fine and noise free. The issue is only when I patch to our client monitor or send the output to our dub rack.

I've tried lifting the ground but this doesn't seem to help- so I'm considering an isolation transformer. In terms of isolating the video signal I've found a three-channel Allen-Avionics VIT-753 might work for a component connection. Another approach is to use something like Furman's isolated power supply. It provides a small bank of isolated AC plugs.

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has any experience or insight into this.

Thanks

- Jim

Return to posts index

nightdesigns
Re: Eliminating ground loop video noise
on Nov 16, 2005 at 8:06:42 pm

You try a humbucker? Since it's only your monitor signal you won't need to worry about the very slight quality hit you'll take. You can pick them up on ebay for cheap.

Return to posts index

Jim Krause
Re: Eliminating ground loop video noise
on Nov 18, 2005 at 4:28:06 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I've used the Humbuckers before (with fine results) but I believe they only do composite. Ideally I'd like a component or at least Y/C device. I'm borrowing a power supply transformer this afternoon. Maybe that will do the trick.

Best

- Jim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]