FORUMS: list search recent posts

Question on Closed Captioning/Syndicated news segment pricing?

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Kolb
Question on Closed Captioning/Syndicated news segment pricing?
on Nov 8, 2005 at 5:40:54 pm

We have a client who would like to start a syndicated news segment.

We've been looking at the products that are out there...not really competitively, but to see what sort of resources are normally supplied, etc, etc.

I've noticed that several of these offer Closed Captioning transcripts over the internet. Are these because the segment is not closed captioned by the program provider...or as an aid in case you have a step in your production process that strips the cc?

Also, we're attempting to track down how these series are priced for the client who needs to determine financial feasibility. I'm not looking for anyone's specific contractual deal details, just some idea of a range of costs and segmentation (buy it by quarter, by year...so much per segment or per week on average, etc.)

Thanks in advance.

TimK,

Kolb Syverson Communications,
Creative Cow Host,
2004-2005 NAB Post Production Conference
Premiere Pro Technical Chair,
Author, "The Easy Guide to Premiere Pro" http://www.focalpress.com
"Premiere Pro Fast Track DVD Series" http://www.classondemand.net

Return to posts index

nightdesigns
Re: Question on Closed Captioning/Syndicated news segment pricing?
on Nov 9, 2005 at 11:17:04 pm

There was an article on CC in this month's Broadcast Engineering. Haven't gotten a chance to read it yet, but might be worth a look.

In the past when I've worked on a live job that involved CC, the company that they've used downlinks our uplink and then dials back into a piece of equipment that encodes it into the video signal. Rather simple setup and doesn't involve bringing an outside person in to the production.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
Re: Question on Closed Captioning/Syndicated news segment pricing?
on Nov 16, 2005 at 10:02:01 pm

we have used a vendor to this this on a few occasions. You can send them a master tape, and they somehow encode the line 21 info onto it or make a submaster with the captioning. They will also send you a caption file, which can be used with dvd.

Most recently I did all my editing, made masters, then made submasters going tape to tape. While the dubbing occurred, I had one phone line going out with program audio, then another coming in with the captioning signal, which somehow added it to a composite video feed. Pretty clever really. You can even digitize this and edit without erasing the line 21 data.

Caption Advantage in Syracuse, NY is the vendor. They were pretty resonable. They do some of the network nightly newscasts also.

Mike

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]