FORUMS: list search recent posts

What is the best camera to use to get film look?

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sterling film
What is the best camera to use to get film look?
on Oct 7, 2005 at 1:29:18 am

I have a xl1 I have been told to get a 35mm lens and do great lighting to get film look. I have also been told to by others to get sonys new HD camra I will get great resolution then do film look in post. Some say shot 24p, others say shoot in PAL. Can someone tell me whats the best way to go about this?

Return to posts index

David Jones
Re: What is the best camera to use to get film look?
on Oct 8, 2005 at 10:34:35 pm

"whats the best way to go about this?"

The best way to get the look of 35mm film, is to use a 35mm camera and shoot film.

Return to posts index

brianluce
on Oct 11, 2005 at 1:25:03 pm

24p simulates the look of film.
but the best thing is get the software called magic bullet. it will give you all the film look you can handle.

sorry for the snide remarks. this particular forum is not the most hospitable place in cyberspace.

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Oct 12, 2005 at 3:55:41 pm

What snide remarks?
He asked for the best "camera" to use to get film look.
So I simply told him that to get the Best film look, use a film camera.

IMHO, there is a big misconception as to what film looks like.
Many young shooters think that by having a shallow depth of field,
or by shooting with a 24p DV camera that this is the magic film look.
Sorry, it doesn't work that way.

Not too long ago I had a young self proclaimed movie producer come by to check out what "film look" I had.
So I showed him the Arri 35BL and Eclair CM3, and he said... Oh, I was talking about with the computer...
I told him that we had Cinelook, Magic Bullet, Nattress, and asked him what particular style or look he was after.
He said... you know film look... I said can you narrow it down and maybe pick something that you want to look like, for example do you want your project to look like Gone With The Wind, The Matrix, The Brady Bunch, Gilligan's Island.
He said... Oh right, Gilligan's Island and The Brady Bunch are TV shows.
Yes they are... I replied, but they were shot on film.
Then he said... They don't look like film!

So my big question for those of you out there that are after a "Film Look" is...
What does film look like?

Return to posts index

Charlie King
on Oct 12, 2005 at 4:02:14 pm

[David Jones] "What does film look like?"

Yep.

Charlie

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 12, 2005 at 6:18:11 pm

Even though I agree with David's suggestion that shooting film is the best way to get the look of film, we have to keep in mind that this is, after all, the Broadcast VIDEO forum and not the "Film for TV Broadcast" forum.

If I'd been quicker on the keyboard, I would have directed our questioner to one of the other fine forums on the COW for a more detailed reply on how to get video to approximate the look of film.

But I don't know about that "not the most hospitable place" stuff. If telling folks the unvarnished truth -- rather than what they want to hear -- is not being hospitable, then I guess it's so.

To wit: is a real-live high-definition digital tape format better than HDV? You bet! That's why it's more expensive. Is digibeta better than DV? You bet! That's why it's more expensive. But if you don't have deep pockets, that's not what you want to hear.

You want reassurances that yes, HDV makes perfectly good images for many applications... and yes, you can shoot 16x9 DV and it's perfectly acceptable for many things. But the reality is, from a quality standpoint, you're still trying to shove ten pounds of a certain vile-smelling substance into a five-pound bag.

Return to posts index

glenn chan
on Oct 13, 2005 at 5:02:04 pm

I think talent and experience plays a really big role in how good your footage looks.

I saw some Z1 and Varicam footage (bumped down to SD resolution) and I couldn't tell the difference apart (until the editor pointed out weird artifacts the Z1 picks up in some rare situations). They had a pretty killer Z1 setup though... 35mm adapter, other accessories (LED lights, mattebox, field monitor), Discreet Smoke + professional colorist.

Return to posts index

brianluce
on Oct 20, 2005 at 6:14:48 am

But I don't know about that "not the most hospitable place" stuff. If telling folks the unvarnished truth -- rather than what they want to hear -- is not being hospitable, then I guess it's so.

that's what you think? telling someone to shoot on film is the "unvarnished truth"? Jesus Christ, this place is dinosaur lounge.

Return to posts index

Nic Alderton
on Oct 15, 2005 at 11:42:17 am

Strangely enough, we just finished a 35mm commerical for a client who, when looking at the footage in post, said that it 'looked like video'.

We spent a long time trying to work out what they were talking about - finally pinning it down to that fact that we had used a narrow shutter angle for a staccato visual feel (which they had requested) and now seeing it in front of them they were nervous.

As regards 'film look', a great deal of people (in my case read: clients) don't know what the hell they are talking about or looking for; this is simultaneously reassuring and worrying.

Return to posts index

Mike Schrengohst
on Oct 25, 2005 at 4:02:20 pm

I just finished an edit that was shot on BetaSP. At the end of the edit the director said oh yeah we need "film-look" added. OK, I rendered a 1 min sec so he could show the client. They were happy so I rendered the entire 12 min show. Cost them $1500 more. I told the director next time he could rent my DVX-100 for $200 a day and save himself about $1000. He was sick when he saw how much better the DVX-100 footage looked compared to his BetaSP "film-look". However, he is still not convinced that DV is better than BetaSP.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 25, 2005 at 6:12:08 pm

Neither am I, especially if the footage needs to be chroma keyed. I'll take Beta SP over DV any day for Blue or Green Screen work.

And you know, there's nothing stopping Sony or Panasonic from developing a camera that will shoot 24P, introduce 3:2 pulldown and record the result on Beta SP tape.

Yeah, it makes about as much sense as fitting out a quad machine with a really good time base corrector to get a really good analog recording, but the point is that it could be done, and the resulting images would be LOTS better than DV. Especially when the arrival of a REALLY good digital video format, capable of simultaneously supplanting DV, blowing DV away in terms of picture quality and rivaling (if not beating) DV interms of affordability is just a matter of time.

DV's merely an affordable stopgap between really good analog and really good digital. Wait untill a truly fine, affordable digital video format shows up: you'll drop DV like a hot potato.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]