FORUMS: list search recent posts

cable runs to a UVW-1800

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
zoltan77
cable runs to a UVW-1800
on Oct 3, 2005 at 11:10:27 pm

Hi,

I'm moving into a new edit space at a production company where they have a betaSP UVW-1800 deck they want me to digitize from, but as its their only deck they also want to use it in another room across the hall for producers to watch tapes (and not distract me). So the best solution I can think of is to put it in the next room over (about 20 feet away) since they will need to use the deck controls whereas I can control from my suite via serial control. Can I run component, serial control, a composite signal for monitoring, audio, etc. over 20 feet or so or will the signal degrade too much? Are special cables or repeaters necessary? or if anyone has a more elegant solution for the problem, I'd love to hear it. thanks.

-zoltan

Return to posts index

Charlie King
Re: cable runs to a UVW-1800
on Oct 4, 2005 at 3:49:11 pm

In the suite I use to work in, our runs to the machine room were well over 20 feet, probably closer to 50 feet. I don't see a major problem, just have controls switchable so you have the control to make the switch so they don't take it from you while you are using it. Make it so they have to personally ask you to make the switch. Just don't get cheap on the component cables.

Charlie

Return to posts index

zoltan77
on Oct 5, 2005 at 4:35:29 am

Great, thanks. It occurred to me to check on B&H too and they sell up to 100ft component video and rs422 cables. So I'm assuming it can be done that far if someone makes the cables for it. Thanks for your help.

-zoltan

Return to posts index

Thax
by
on Oct 5, 2005 at 1:49:10 pm

[zoltan77] "I'm assuming it can be done that far if someone makes the cables for it."

Well, I would not give THAT assumption in much esteem.
(Cable mfg. will make anything that will sell and leave the final usage problems up to the engineers to worry about).

That aside, many (most) TV stations and post houses have "machine/tape rooms" a sizable distance from various edit suites and control rooms.

BTW, 20 feet is "nothing" for a cable run of any kind (except for maybe SCSI... the design of the cable is important).

Now, a THOUSAND feet is "pushing it" for non-equalized coax runs (although I've seen many do that and more in stadiums and arenas.)

Inside a TV studio building, 100' coax runs are not uncommon.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]