Does anyone know of a good website that would have tips or tutorials for editors needing to a) learn photoshop fundamentials, b) possible tips for AVID/FCP editors, such as making alpha mattes or to make a vignette.
I do not claim to be a graphic artist, nor do I want to become one, but I would like to be able do some of the basic things that I encounter every day.
In this example:
A logo sits on a red background.
Make an alpha channel so the red background won't show up, just the logo.
"Quick and Dirty" Alpha Channel Tutorial (for this image, anyway).
1. Open unaltered original image in Photoshop.
2. Touch the "Magic wand" tool, set the tolerance to 36.
3. UN-check (do NOT check) "Contiguous".
4. Touch any part of the red area with the Magic Wand tool.
5. Make sure all of the red area is selected.
6. Select (menu) > Save Selection...
7. Go to Photoshop CHANNELS Window and see if there is now an Alpha Channel in the shape that you want.
8. Then File (menu) "Save As"
9. Choose PICT as the type of file and re-name this file what you want.
Drop this new PICT file into FCP.
Click it into the FCP Viewer window and then:
Modify (menu) > Composite Mode > Normal
Modify (menu) > Alpha Type > Straight
You might need to choose "Reverse Alpha"