FORUMS: list search recent posts

Long Distance Cable Runs

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jake Abramson
Long Distance Cable Runs
on Sep 2, 2005 at 3:43:48 pm

I need to run some audio and video cable a length of about 1000 feet through conduit.

What cable types should I be using, 8281, something better, audio - I have no idea. Something quadshielded obviously. What is my maximum length to keep up quality? Video is analog, audio is XLR balanced stereo.

Or should I just look at fiber?

Return to posts index

Charlie King
Re: Long Distance Cable Runs
on Sep 2, 2005 at 4:40:17 pm

I personally prefer Canare Cables. The LV-77S is the equivalent of Belden's 8281. The LV-77s is much more flexible than 8281, and will drop only about 10 DB over 1000 feet. Not sure what your needs are at that disance but you should be able to run thru a proc amp and recoup that 10 DB loss if needed. 1000 feet is a log run for any standard analog video. Fibre would be nice but costly.

Charlie

Return to posts index

Todd at UCSB
on Sep 2, 2005 at 5:10:47 pm

For that long, I would be thinking Fibre only.
Canare (I think, saw it at NAB) makes a BOB for analoge/digital video for Fibre. So what you do is run your 'normal' cables into the BOB, then run Fibre to the BOB on the other end, up to 5,000(?)ft. Nice and Clean. But, Charlie is right, is cost money, but worth looking into.

Good Luck,

Todd at UCSB
Television Production

Return to posts index

tony salgado
on Sep 3, 2005 at 1:15:06 pm

8241 should be fine but you need to also consider using a video equalizing DA to compensate for video and chroma level loss on such a long run.

Are you sending analog composite video? If you are running SDI 8241 is not suitable.

Fiber requires an encoder and decoder on both ends for "transmitting and receiving" the signals.

Tony Salgado

Return to posts index

Mike Johnson
on Sep 12, 2005 at 6:50:00 pm

is this for a permanent or temporary shoot?

I know you can send audio that far without problem if it's balanced... The problem will be the video signal.

Have you had a look at wireless options?

Return to posts index

Kerry
on Sep 14, 2005 at 7:13:56 am

For long run analog over several hundred feet use RG11U. Its larger diameter but has a lot less loss.
Also if you are running it thru conduit you don't need quad shielding. Next best is RG6U.
Use an equalizer line amp if possible. VAC makes some small ones.
For the audio use regular 22ga audio wire. Balanced.

KB

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]