NTSC preview device? Firewire but 486?

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pyro
NTSC preview device? Firewire but 486?
by
on Aug 26, 2005 at 2:21:06 am

Hi Cows!

I need a device to preview NTSC video on a production monitor.

A Firewiretranscoder would be great, however, I'm working in 720x486 and the Firewire breakout boxes I've used so far all use 480 vertical resolution so that my 486 fields get all mangled.

Is there a Firewire breakout transcoder that either show all 486 lines of vertical resolution, or, simply strip the 6 lines without inverting field dominance?

I know Aja and such will do this, but I need to outfit several 3D and graphics stations with very inexpensive and possibly shared NTSC 486 output to an NTSC monitor for checking scenes and confirming 60 fps scenes are correct.

There are DV resolution breakouts that work great for 480 vertical, but since we're doing broadcast work DV is not delivery resolution. Is there a device that will output 720x486 via Firewire? As mentioned, stripping a few lines to 480 is fine for preview, as long as the field dominance isnt compromised and mangled.

The environment is a mostly WinXP graphics bull-pen feeding several Avids and a Discreet Flame and I would prefer to take advantage of Firewire instead of dedicated realtime NTSC boards for my artists workstations.

Thanks for your advise and product recommendations.

Pyro in NYC

Return to posts index

Pyro
Re: NTSC preview device? Firewire but 486?
by
on Aug 27, 2005 at 3:19:58 am

Could a Sony DA1 be placed on a Firewire Router and be shared by a few PCs over the router? I am not versed in IEEE1394 enough to know if this is possible.

Does a Sony DA1 broadcast any DV codec, Microsoft or Apple?

The DA1 or DA-2 is pretty old, but we could devise an After Effects Output module to fit our 486 frames to 480 for display on an NTSC monitor to keep field preview accurate when needed.

Is this idea workable?

As I mentioned previously, I need to connect 4 CG computers via IEEE1394 to a shared 42" NTSC monitor.

From the PCs IEEE1394 port to a IEEE1394 router which branches to a DA1. Would this work?

http://www.insanely-great.com/reviews/da1.html

From PCs connected to this router.
http://www.pccables.com/cgi-bin/orders6.cgi?action=Showitem&id=ID614474&par...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]