Optimal Streaming video format & Encrypting video

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joseph
on Aug 9, 2005 at 10:58:35 pm

I am not sure if this is the right forum,.So my apologies in advance

I have a web site which will be programmed in ASP , it has a databse of medical videos for teaching students & doctors... . I want to know.

1. What is the ideal format of the videos [ I was told that ordinary MPG4 wont work, but that seems illogical to me... in my pc version of this teaching program, I use Quick time as a player.& MPG 4 Also, .. what player is best suited to streaming video over the internet ....????

2. Also, for security, Is there a way to of Encrypting video so it cant be downloaded into cache ?

Return to posts index

glenn chan
Re: Optimal Streaming video format & Encrypting video
on Aug 13, 2005 at 9:29:35 pm

For widest compatibility, I would shotgun the audience with different choices and they can pick something that'll work on their system and for their bandwidth.

Windows Media 7/8/9 (7 is most compatible, 9 is better quality)
Quicktime - sorenson3 for video (the codecs you pay money for are a lot better than the free ones!) mp3, qdesign, or mpeg4 audio (lower compatibility, but free and good quality) for audio codec.

And if you want:
FLash/SWF
A codec with really good compression for advanced users. H.264, VP6, etc. Not sure which is best, although H.264 is looking good.

MPEG4 has low quality/compression and low compatibility (Real Player will try to play back Quicktime MPEG4s, but it can't).
divX is same or worse quality than WM8.

2. Also, for security, Is there a way to of Encrypting video so it cant be downloaded into cache ?

Some systems support Digital Rights management. Windows Media does.

Streaming videos like Real and Windows Media can be ripped, although most computer users may not know how.

Ultimately people can figure out how to rip your video, or point a camera at their screen (or use a scan convertor). So it comes down to the level of security you are looking for.

Return to posts index

Jake Abramson
Re: Optimal Streaming video format & Encrypting video
on Aug 15, 2005 at 4:52:27 pm

If you're going to be doing a lot of archiving that needs to go to different companies, check out a service provided by Granicus (granicus.com). Let them know Jake sent you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]