FORUMS: list search recent posts

SDI in Sony PVM-1345Q?

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael
SDI in Sony PVM-1345Q?
on Jul 29, 2005 at 8:01:55 pm

I "inherited" some hardware from a friendly company that was going out of business. Among other things I got a nice 13" Sony monitor PVM-1345Q and an SDI board that was initially installed in a 20" monitor - BKM-101C. I figured it'd be easy to match these two but it seems that the power plug for BKM could only go into the socket that is all the way under the front of the tube. Impossible to get to. Am I missing something? Are these two compatible?

Return to posts index

R. Hewitt
Re: SDI in Sony PVM-1345Q?
on Aug 1, 2005 at 12:55:53 pm

Michael, I've tried serching for the manual on this one but to no avail. I suspect it may not be compatible as the BKM-101C board is for Sony Broadcast monitors where as the PVM-1345Q is a professional model and I believe there is a difference in the backplanes used.. I'll keep searching and post back if I find anything.

Richard.

Return to posts index

Michael
on Aug 1, 2005 at 3:09:14 pm

There is definitely a possibility of installing some kind of board in PVM: there is a place for it and BKM fits right in. The only thing is that power cord. If I had a pair of pliers that look like stiff elephant's trunk I could try to squeeze it where I think it should go...

Return to posts index

R. Hewitt
on Aug 1, 2005 at 4:31:15 pm

Just found some details from Sony. The BKM-101C board is compatible with all PVM 'M' Series monitors. Most other models including the latest 'L' series require the BKM-120D card.

Is there any more details on the serial number label that may help to identify your monitor as it isn't showing up on any of the Sony support sites.

The following Link may help to point towards a solution.

Sony professional Support.

Return to posts index

Michael
on Aug 1, 2005 at 6:40:04 pm

I googled the model # and found this link: http://www.broadcastbaron.com/infopvm1354q.htm. Lo and behold it has SDI option installed! That answers half of my question, now I just need to figure out how to install that damn card...

Return to posts index

R. Hewitt
on Aug 2, 2005 at 11:25:55 am

Getting there, slowly but surely...
Found the Operators Manual. The manual includes your model number as a variant of the PVM-1954Q. Just searching for the Maintenance handbook that will show installation details.

Will get there in the end!

Richard.

Return to posts index

Michael
on Aug 2, 2005 at 2:27:21 pm

That's the model I took the SDI card from. And it's different than the 13" model in terms of power plugs placement. That's why i have a problem.

Return to posts index

R. Hewitt
on Aug 2, 2005 at 5:00:36 pm

Doh!

It may be worth dropping your nearest and dearest Sony Support centre a line. They may be able to give you details over the phone. I've not seen the monitor model over here in the UK and we're using the BKM-120 boards here. Is it the power connectors that are different/short cables?

Return to posts index

Michael
on Aug 2, 2005 at 8:21:39 pm

Cables are the same. Just the placement of the connectors/sockets is so bizarre that it's impossible to plug anything in unless you have pliers that are shaped like elephant trunk. Which makes me think these two might not be compatible after all.

Return to posts index

R Hewitt
on Aug 3, 2005 at 10:17:31 pm

Mmm. The spec says it should work but I'd be as suprised as you to find connector problems. I wouldn't be without my elephant trunk pliers - saved my bacon many a time extracting dropped screws from the darkest depths of VTRs and monitors!

Youe local? Sony agent or dealer should be able to offer guidance on this.

Return to posts index

Michael
on Aug 3, 2005 at 10:53:25 pm

I'm in NY so I'm sure I can find someone - I just didn't think I would have to. So there is such thing as "elephant" pliers?

Return to posts index

R. Hewitt
on Aug 4, 2005 at 11:41:45 am

Well at least that's what we used to call them! Often called Pliers Wiring 81a in the old telecom days. They seem to ba able to pickup anything no matter how awkward or narrow the gap. We often magnitised them to pickup screws just out of reach - taking car not to affect th emonitor tube of course!.

Hopw Sony can help you out.

Cheers,

Richard.

Return to posts index

Michael Klinger
on Aug 23, 2005 at 5:35:49 am

on a simalr note I have purchased on ebay a used bkm-101c for use in a pvm-1954q. Could also use some help on installation. The physical installation seems straight forward, but The card seems to require at least one cable for connection, and it did not come with one. Even if it did, it is not clear to me where exactly it would plug into. Any leads on on-line instructions of anyone who could walk me thru -- via an e-mail or phone call?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]