FORUMS: list search recent posts

color issues between DV and digibeta

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Susan Stuart
color issues between DV and digibeta
on Jul 28, 2005 at 3:58:04 pm

Hello, hopefully I'm posting this is the most appropriate forum.

I have had color issues in the past when dubbing from digibeta down to miniDV. I used the standard bars and tones for NTSC, but was told that DV "zeros the blacks" so everything looked darker.

Now I have a friend who needs to dub in the opposite direction: miniDV to digibeta. Are there any color issues she should watch out for? Is using the standard bars and tone generator for NTSC in Final Cut Pro OK, or should she use something else? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Charlie King
Re: color issues between DV and digibeta
on Jul 28, 2005 at 7:31:19 pm

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/video_levels_nattress.html

Found that mentioned in another forum, if it doesn;t confuse the heck out of you, then you might have an understanding of something I am not sure I will ever totally understand. I'm getting too old for major changes in policy.

Charlie

Return to posts index

Susan Stuart
on Jul 28, 2005 at 8:27:30 pm

Hm, yes... very um, scintillating... but this author doesn't get at any color issues, as far as I can tell, in going from DV to digibeta or vice versa. I saw for myself there were some unless my dub house was just feeding me baloney...

Return to posts index

Charlie King
on Jul 29, 2005 at 3:42:24 pm

I no longer work in a position to send out to broadcast facilities. But I always setup my Digibeta the same way I set up my Beta SP with 7.5 black level. Never had to contend with the DV concepts. I will always setup at 7.5 until someone tells me that 7.5 is never ever under no circumstances used anymore. I was so looking forward to the concept of Digital Television so there would only be one standard in the world, but alas, we now have more standards than we ever dreamed there could be.

Charlie

Return to posts index

Evolution
on Jul 29, 2005 at 5:30:34 pm

The key is your set-up as the last post said. Literally it's the setting titled "set-up". Don't know exactly what deck, etc. you're working with, but check out this article.
http://www.bobhudson.com/Setup/

Return to posts index

Susan Stuart
on Jul 29, 2005 at 6:32:47 pm

These articles keep mentioning the problems that occur when going from digital to analog. How would that explain the digibeta discrepancy then? Is it because it's a broadcast standard that must then conform to analog standards? I know the dub place mentioned this 0 vs. 7.5 IRE issue, but weren't really able to tell me what to do about it.. last article sounds like an interesting solution, if it does indeed work for DV to digi or vice versa

Return to posts index

Charlie King
on Jul 29, 2005 at 6:36:48 pm

I always sent 7.5 setup on digibeta, because it is was designed for the analog broadcast domain.

Charlie

Return to posts index

Evolution
on Jul 29, 2005 at 6:55:00 pm

Susan, can you clarify if a dub house is making the dupe, and if so your equipment set-up for getting it to DV?
Thanks

Return to posts index

Susan Stuart
on Jul 29, 2005 at 9:16:12 pm

Hi yes, the dub house is making a dupe from miniDV to digibeta. I will output it to miniDV from Final Cut Pro on my computer.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]