FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can video monitors cause harm?

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John B
Can video monitors cause harm?
on Jul 7, 2005 at 3:01:36 pm

When switching on a professional video monitor, is it possible that it emits an electrical charge capable of damaging other computer components?

OS 10.3.9
G5 1.8 single
Huge Mediavault
Atto ul4d2
final cut 4.5
Sony DSR-45

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Can video monitors cause harm?
on Jul 7, 2005 at 3:38:01 pm

It's highly, highly unlikely. After all, TV monitors and computer monitors aren't all that different in the way they reproduce pictures.... and you don't worry about the ill effects of a computer monitor on the CPU, do you?

But let's say you're not convinced. Let's say that you have this nagging fear about TV monitors ruining your hard work, and it won't go away. One way to put your mind at ease is to follow this procedure:

Put a computer monitor next to a TV monitor. Turn the TV monitor on and off and observe what happens to the picture on the computer monitor. If you don't like what happens, move the computer monitor away from the TV monitor. Repeat the process until you're satisfied. Then just position the computer CPU box at least that far from the TV monitor. The same thing would hold true for disk drives.

Return to posts index

John B
on Jul 7, 2005 at 4:13:39 pm

Happy. I have two CRT computer monitors beside my video monitor. Switching the video monitor on causes a big disturbance in the one immediatly adjacent, but none whatsoever in the further one. I guess I should try to keep everything one monitor length away.

OS 10.3.9
G5 1.8 single
Huge Mediavault
Atto ul4d2
final cut 4.5
Sony DSR-45

Return to posts index

Charlie King
on Jul 7, 2005 at 4:45:18 pm

Sounds like shielding problem. Just for grins, put a sheet of foil between the TV monitor and the Computer monitor and see if it makes a difference.

Charlie

Return to posts index

John B
on Jul 7, 2005 at 6:44:47 pm

Okay, but I'll have to be sneaky. My wife is pretty tight with the foil.

OS 10.3.9
G5 1.8 single
Huge Mediavault
Atto ul4d2
final cut 4.5
Sony DSR-45

Return to posts index

glenn chan
on Jul 26, 2005 at 5:55:36 am

That effect comes from magnetic interference between the monitors.
When a monitor powers on, a lot of them will degauss themselves. Degaussing involves a strong magnetic field that reverses itself often... this will get rid of any magnetic "residue" (non-technical term) in the monitor. Anyways, that's why you get a big disturbance when the monitor first turns on. Degaussing won't hurt your monitor, and will sometimes fix things.

Foil doesn't work in my experience. Numetal (something like that) will work, but it's expensive.

If magnetic interference bothers you, get a 30" apple cinema display to put beside your broadcast monitor. LCDs aren't affected by magnetic interference from your broadcast monitor.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]