FORUMS: list search recent posts

COLOURIST?

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
l_vaughan
COLOURIST?
on Jul 6, 2005 at 2:07:12 pm

Hi all,
Hope someone can help. I wondered what the best program is for changing colours, hue's etc... I ideally want a program that can do anything from crazy psychadelic colour schemes to suttle effects.

I currently use adobe after effects, is there a better application?

Return to posts index

Todd at UCSB
Re: COLOURIST?
on Jul 6, 2005 at 5:13:51 pm

Hello,
Color Finesse by Synthetic Aperture is one of the best coloring apps. THere are a lot of plug-ins that can give you crazy or psychadelic colors (colorama, etc.) and some you can buy, but the Color Finesse is a true color correction app.
I believe is comes bundled with AE Pro for 6.0 or 6.5? So you might just need to upgrade your AE.

Good Luck,

Todd at UCSB
Television Production

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 7, 2005 at 3:43:34 pm

You can do a lot in After Effects to create color backgrounds. It is a GREAT starting point.

Just remember to keep your colors and video levels legal for broadcast. That means you'll need at least a software-based vectorscope and waveform monitor for AE. I use Scopo Gigio. A hardware-based vectorscope and waveform monitor is even better, but a lot more expensive.

The good news about correcting colors: Color Finesse, as mentioned above, is great... plus it comes bundled with the upgrade to After Effects 6.5 Professional.

Return to posts index

glenn chan
on Jul 26, 2005 at 5:51:50 am

You can also check out some of the freeframe plug-ins out there. Some of them are pretty psychadelic.

http://freeframe.sourceforge.net/downloads.html

You will need to get the AE host plugin.

Pete's plugins contain bloom, which is a neat filter.

Gallery of some freeframe plugins:
http://freeframe.sourceforge.net/gallery.html

Freeframe plugins are mostly free.

Return to posts index

glenn chan
on Jul 26, 2005 at 6:04:22 am

If you have around a million dollars, you can look into quantel iQ (voted the best by the Telecine Internet Group). You can attach motion trackers to points on a mask to do automated rotoscoping.

Below that there's discreet lustre.

Below that there's Final Touch, which is interesting. IMO it's alright.
At around the same price point, there's Combustion which may be a little better than After Effects (add Color Finesse to it). There's also Combustion's bigger brothers like Inferno.

There's Magic Bullet Editor's, which is easy to use (and doesnt need much creativity when you can cycle through presets) but really slow.

You can also use Final Cut Pro + Color Finesse. It can be more productive since everything is conformed properly and you can grade in context of your FCP project.
Vegas (PC) can do something similar, and you don't need Color Finesse for Vegas.

There's also hardware-based color correction systems which can do tape-to-tape (i.e. da vinci), but you'd only want that for the colorist 'attached' to that system.

2- The easy answer is to stick with AE + Color Finesse.

Return to posts index

Armagnax
on Aug 4, 2005 at 4:35:31 pm

Using FCP & FT is nice and very powerful (what we've got at the office now), but there's a steep learning curve, and going back and forth to FCP isn't perfect yet. So unless you're going to be a full time or at least a part time colorist, I'd stick with AE&Colorfinesse.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]