FORUMS: list search recent posts

timecode issues

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jason
timecode issues
on May 31, 2005 at 6:03:59 pm

I recently purchased a Sony DSR-500ws camera. When I record footage on tape, it seems to record timecode correctly, but when I try to play the footage on my DSR-200 camera, the timecode won't display correctly. It flickers and jumps back and forth from timecode to 00;00;00;00. I use the DSR-200 as a deck for capturing footage. I don't want to wear out the new cam.

Can anyone tell me why this is happening?

Thanks in advance,
Jason

Return to posts index

Charlie King
Re: timecode issues
on Jun 1, 2005 at 3:03:33 pm

First are ou recording longitudinal and vertical interval tC? If not make sure the DSR 200 is not set to read VITC. If you are there still may be a problem with the VITC reading. If you are not using stop frame single frame advance from the deck for playback turn off VITC recording.
Other than that the only thing is the possibility of a audio stack misalignment.

Charlie

Return to posts index

Thax
by
on Jun 6, 2005 at 12:43:53 pm

Hi Charlie,

As the name implies, the DSR-500 is a DV camcorder.
The TC on DV is neither longitudinal or vertical, nor is it recorded on an audio stack.

DV has all the audio, video and TC recorded in one digital signal.

(You miss all the "fun" of analog and its various "tracks" on the tape.)

So Jason, I'm betting there is a head-alignment problem between the two camcorders in question.

Try playing a tape on another (known-good) DV unit (deck or camcorder) and see what happens.
(Maybe take the DSR-500's tape to a production house.)
If the TC is OK there, then its (likely) the DSR-200's problem.
If the TC is still SNAFU, its the DSR-500 that's likely at fault.

I'm thinking at least ONE of your DV camcorders may need a trip to the shop for head-adjustment.

Return to posts index

jason
on Jun 15, 2005 at 10:22:32 pm

It's definitely the 500. I tried playing the tape on 3 other decks and had problems with all of them.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]