FORUMS: list search recent posts

Text Woes

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
acutshall
Text Woes
on May 28, 2005 at 3:25:47 pm

My question falls into to different forums however after researhing I feel I can be best helped in this one,let me know if I am wrong.I work in IS at a small hospital which has an internal Broadcast stup that takes m2p files stored on a server and broadcasts them to in house TVs. We are trying to use this sytem to better educate our nursing staff since their hours are long and available time is short. We have the managers create Powerpoint(no animation)primarily for the text content, I then take them and export them in bmp format at 720x540, bring them into PremeirPro at D1/NTSC(0.9)at 720x480 Lower frame first with aspect ratio of 4.3, try to make them inetresting by adding pictures and video and export them using a NTSC Mpeg 2 format.My problem is primarily the text,it is barely readable, it seems fuzzy, blurry, unclear, it and the background seem to jitter or vibrate slightly, every thing else like the video and pictures seem fine. I have included a post from your forum and a link to an article from another forum (below, thinking these are part of my problem. Being that I am not in or from a Broadcast field, I am at a complete lost as to what my problem is or how to correct it, however I do know that when I watch TV all their text seems to be clear and if I do not correct everyone where I work is going to need glasses.
Thanks in advance

Earlier Post in this forum:Resolution confusion by Shannon Brame on May 10, 2005 at 15:19 gmt
Article: http://www.creativecow.net/articles/hodgetts_philip/titles/index.html

Return to posts index

Thax
Re: Text Woes
by
on Jun 6, 2005 at 1:06:59 pm

First, throw every copy of PowerPoint into the pit of eternal damnation (I'm kidding... ALMOST).

IMHO, PowerPoint has been so "abused" by uninformed users that it may be the cause of more LACK of education (due to confusing and ill-prepared images) than its intended purpose of IMPROVING communication.

a) Video has a MUCH lower resolution than computer screens.

b) A typical PowerPoint (PPt) frame (as it is used by non-pros) is usually FILLED to the edges with copious amounts of ant-sized text which is left on-screen for nanoseconds.

This combo will render most PPt presentations unreadable/unusable in Video (not to mention they probably weren't all that "whippy" in the original PPt to begin-with.)

If you want readable text in video, it must be relatively LARGE in size, the proper color, (edged, if necessary) and uncomplicated at the information level so that it can be quickly absorbed by the viewer (who is not, after-all, reading a text book.)

This article will be helpful concerning text-generation:
Great Titles with the DV Codec
By Philip Hodgetts
http://www.creativecow.net/articles/hodgetts_philip/titles/index.html

Most edit software has built-in text and/or title generators.
So you could, first, SIMPLIFY the text information and then "Cut and Paste" what you NEED to use from the original document into the edit software's titler.

Return to posts index

acutshall
Re: Text Woes
on Jun 8, 2005 at 2:12:56 am

Thanks, I agree, it took more time trying to meke the text readable than copying and pasting into PPro. I thought there might be a standard program that Television uses since their text is clear.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]