FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dealing with converting interlaced stersoscopic 3D video to 2D

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Hall
Dealing with converting interlaced stersoscopic 3D video to 2D
on May 11, 2005 at 2:54:18 pm

I have an unusual situation. I am working on a video whose source footage is interlaced stereoscopic surgery footage. That means one field of the footage is the right eye camera, the other field is the left eye. In order for me to make a 2D version I have to throw away one of the fields. I have done that using the deinterlace filter in final cut pro. The client has said that they think the resulting video doesn't look clear enough. Is there anyway to improve the quality of video that is basically half resolution because it is based on a single field? Appreciate any feedback.

Matt Hall
Director, Digital Post
CCG MetaMedia, Inc.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Dealing with converting interlaced stersoscopic 3D video to 2D
on May 12, 2005 at 5:16:31 pm

There's a computer program developed by NASA that can increase at least the percieved resolution by combining information from preceding and following frames/fields. Look up one of the COW moderators that works for NASA and ask him about it. Another company, redhawkvision, offers something similar. Genuine Fractals offers a fractal codec for phtoshop that is supposed to allow you to blow up frames without decreasing resolution, apply this to a frame movie of the clip and maybe it could help.... You might google these and see if they could be of use.

But I think you know the ultimate answer, that you can't fix what's not there, and you're starting with half the resolution. It will look sharper if you shrink it, but if it's surgical footage, that will be of limited use to the audience. I don't know if transferring to HD would help, probably not enough to matter.

Return to posts index

Matt Hall
Re: Dealing with converting interlaced stersoscopic 3D video to 2D
on May 12, 2005 at 5:23:26 pm

Thanks for ideas, i'm going to keep them in mind for future issues. But for this one i think I'll have to make do. appreciate the feedback.

Matt Hall
Director, Digital Post
CCG MetaMedia, Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]