FORUMS: list search recent posts

Routing switcher advice

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nina
Routing switcher advice
by
on May 6, 2005 at 5:14:04 pm

Has anyone worked with the Sierra PRO or Autopatch Optima routing systems before? We've just gotten 2 quotes that are $43K (Cdn) apart for a similar setup.

We have 4 edit suites and about 15 decks in various SD formats. We don't have any kind of central patchbay right now. We need something along the lines of a 20x20 component video router, 20x20 composite, and 8x8 SDI. We'll need to deal with HD in the future but right now we only have a handful of HD sources. Our main concern is the component video - most of our source material is on Beta SP or DV.

Return to posts index

ote1kenobi
Re: Routing switcher advice
on May 6, 2005 at 8:20:31 pm

We have just finished working with a company(saenc.com) to design a new control room for our Government Channel and we are getting a 32X32 Autopatch router (not component/sdi...strictly composite)

My understanding is that Autopatch offers a lifetime Guarantee on their routers (as long as you don't move it after intial installation)

hope this helps.
Peyote

Return to posts index

Nina
by
on May 6, 2005 at 11:23:29 pm

Did you already have a central patchbay or VDA, or were you working from scratch? We are trying to figure out if you need a VDA if you have the Autopatch. . . maybe that's why it's so much cheaper.

Return to posts index

ote1Kenobi
on May 9, 2005 at 12:55:53 pm

We have a 16X4 router made by leightronics and we have four VDA's because we have a some long runs. I'm not the technical expert on this but I think a good router helps productivity.

Return to posts index

Nina
by
on May 9, 2005 at 2:43:37 pm

So are your VDAs going to be hooked up to your new Autopatch, or does the Autopatch have a built-in VDA like the Sierra?

Return to posts index

Nina
by
on May 9, 2005 at 2:43:42 pm

So are your VDAs going to be hooked up to your new Autopatch, or does the Autopatch have a built-in VDA like the Sierra?

Return to posts index

Charlie King
on May 9, 2005 at 3:56:05 pm

I highly recommend Grass Valley. IMHO, they are far superior to anything else out there. Easy to set up, easy to operate, versatile, expandable, upgradeable, expensive. They just pretty much have everything. I think I even saw a kitchen sink in there once.

Charlie

Return to posts index

ote1kenobi
on May 9, 2005 at 9:33:39 pm

I'm going to have to plead ingorance to the details of what autopatch can and can't do. The one we are purchasing is srtictly a router. We are keeping our VDA's. I mentioned their lifetime guarantee as a measure of what you get for the money. Every facility sets up diffrently (ours is a live control room set up instead of a post house set up.)I suggest you talk with Carol Evans at Saenc.com or your own vendor as to what covers your needs.
sorry I can't be of more help
Peyote

Return to posts index

Jake Abramson
on May 10, 2005 at 7:47:51 pm

We have a sierra 32x32 Analog Video/Audio router in a studio/edit/dub situation. It saves us a lot of time and hassle.

I took a look at the catalog at the Sierra Pro line and that looks like it'll do what you want.

I don't know if it'll convert a Composite to a Component internally, or vice versa. The best would to be find with all RGB/Comp/SDI inputs. You may also want to consider a system with RS232/422 routability as well.

Return to posts index

Nina
by
on May 10, 2005 at 7:56:17 pm

Apparently the Autopatch system is "not broadcast quality" and "only for institutional use," so it looks like we probably want the Sierra. It might come down to price though.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]