FORUMS: list search recent posts

Serious Magic's DVRack vs. Virtual PC

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chris rust
Serious Magic's DVRack vs. Virtual PC
on May 5, 2005 at 12:23:04 pm

Aloha,
I was all jazzed about Serious Magic's DVRack for field production, then I found out that it was only gonna work on Windows based systems. Has anyone tried DVRack with Virtual PC? Any suggestions or advice? I would really like to use DVRack in the field, but I refuse to buy another laptop just for that. I have a GREAT PB G4 and I love it. Besides, I'm used to Mac and like the programs that I use (I confess that I DO use a two-button mouse--but that's the ONLY Microsoft product I use willingly). I don't plan to be going to a lot of Windows programs, but this one apparently is not even being considered for Mac. Any replies are very welcome! Mahalo!

Return to posts index

Peter DeCrescenzo
Re: Serious Magic's DVRack vs. Virtual PC
on May 5, 2005 at 3:56:24 pm

[chris rust] "... Has anyone tried DVRack with Virtual PC? Any suggestions or advice? ..."

I haven't used this particular combination myself, regrets, but as you may know, hardware emulators like Virtual PC tend to run with _much_ lower performance than real hardware. Also, in general, video-related software such as DVRack can have higher-than-average computer resource requirements. As a result, it's very possible DVRack may be a poor candidate for use under Virtual PC.

However, if you can obtain a free demo version of VPC and DVRack to try them out together on your hardware before making a final purchase decision, that would be a good way to answer your question. I don't know if the makers of these software programs offer free demo versions, but it's worth a shot.

Of course, Finale Cut Pro's Capture mode includes useful Waveform & Vectorscope windows, so that can be a substitute for some of DVRack's functionality.

All the best,

- Peter

Just a friendly reminder to all: Please consider filling-in your COW user profile information so we have a better idea who you are, where you're from, and so forth. It's the friendly thing to do. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Aanarav Sareen
on May 7, 2005 at 1:09:01 am

Serious Magic does offer a free trial version. Download the trial version from:
http://www.seriousmagic.com

Serious Magic also hosts a forum for their demo versions. You might want to post your questions there and see if the techs can verify something for you.

Return to posts index

Kerry
on Jun 3, 2005 at 5:35:32 am

DV Rack will not work in Vitual PC. V6 or 7. One reason is that Vitual PC does not access Firewire.

KB

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]