FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trying to recreate the sound of 40's radio broadcast

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave LaRonde
Trying to recreate the sound of 40's radio broadcast
on May 2, 2005 at 5:55:11 pm

Has anyone out there tried to emulate the sound of network radio from the 40's and early 50's? Long live the Blue Network!

It seems to be an issue of equalization. I know enough to eliminate the highs and lows, and I'm getting close with the built-in graphic equalizer in my NLE. But I just haven't gotten it tuned in to yield the proper frequency response. So I might be overlooking an important factor.

If anyone knows more than "play with the EQ" on this topic, I'd be grateful.

Return to posts index

David Jones
Re: Trying to recreate the sound of 40's radio broadcast
on May 2, 2005 at 7:48:18 pm

Think Ribbon mics, RCA compressor/limiters, tube consoles, Amplitude modulation.

Return to posts index

Charlie King
on May 2, 2005 at 9:58:23 pm

Throw in a slight hetrodyne whistle, slightly better sound than the default telephone EQ that comes with some digital audio stations. Place the emphasis on "slightly" better than telephone. Some pops and crackles.

Charlie

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 2, 2005 at 10:39:25 pm

Thanks for the tips, gents, I'll check 'em out.

Actually, I think I might have erred in my desciption of what I'm trying to do. I had completely forgotten that radio 50 years ago was pretty darned noisy!

I guess what I'm really after is the sound of a big band as it might have been on an acetate recording (early 40's) or perhaps the Bing Crosby Autograph model audio tape decks, the Ampex 200 (1946).

I'm seaching for frequency response charts for those old tape decks. I'm hoping they might yield some clues. But in the meantime, I'll tweak my graphic EQ.

Charlie, when I get close I'll send you out a couple of mp3s: a before and after version. My mom used to listen to big bands all the time on the radio, and those recordings had a very distinctive sound. You're one of the few individuals I know who's A) in the business and B) probably knows that sound I recall.

In the meantime: anybody have any digital files of tape hiss? I'm not even going to worry about slipping capstans.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 3, 2005 at 4:20:25 am

Definitely need to play with downward expansion and compression. My Steinbeg plug ins can make this sound that way, also at home my Ray Gun LP noise eliminator can be mismanaged into making the effect you want too.

Return to posts index

Charlie King
on May 3, 2005 at 3:22:05 pm

I'll be looking forward to that, Dave. The things I remember most from radio days are: The Shadow, Amos and Andy, Fibber McGee and Molly, The Lone Ranger, etc. Music wise we listened mostly to Country, but ocassionally we listened to big band greats.

Charlie

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]