FORUMS: list search recent posts

What news of Blu-Ray technology, NAB attendees?

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave LaRonde
What news of Blu-Ray technology, NAB attendees?
on Apr 26, 2005 at 10:29:03 pm

Anybody find anything out about Blu-Ray technology? I had a buddy gush about how you can put 27GB on a disk the size of a DVD, and 54GB when it goes dual-layer. I looked up some information on howstuffworks.com.

These disks can be rewritable, too, I hear. Pretty cool. Plus, when you cut a project together, you could just archive the whole thing on a disk or two, including the media. Even cooler.

But how fast do those things read and write? It takes me a good half-hour to burn 4.3GB of files to DVD right now, and if Blu-Ray drives can't read much faster than current DVD drives, I'd spend the morning just burning disk!

What have you heard?

Return to posts index

Jake Abramson
Re: What news of Blu-Ray technology, NAB attendees?
on Apr 27, 2005 at 8:44:59 pm

I think Blue-Ray will get beat by P2. Blue-Ray was very quiet at NAB, P2 was very loud. I had someone who works with Blue-Ray really pushing it on me, but then he started goign in about how the laser is aligned with tiny servos that hold everything in blanace. To me that just spells trouble. P2 on the other hand, can do just about everything Blue-ray can, but No moving parts, which is a huge plus for me in terms of cost, maintainance, durability, weight, and power usage. I feel right now that the only thing holding P2 back is the price of the cards, but I just think of how much the price of memory cards for my digital camera, music players, recently, and i think P2 cards will be comparable with the price of tape in the not to distant future.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]