Nasty, nasty dv artifacting

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jus
Nasty, nasty dv artifacting
by
on Apr 21, 2005 at 10:03:22 am

Hi there

Rendered up a bunch of versioned stings (340 frame each - PAL) as qt. mov [tiff uncompressed] as I normally do. Imported into our Unity in the usual fashion, using the normal 601 settings and got some absolutely ghastly artifacting around some strong reds and blues. I've looked at the original qt movies, and they're very clean. I made sure the reds and blues were not too saturated, and definitely legal, but i've got some jaggies that really take some beating!!! The graphics are made up of boxes in perspective, so I've got plenty of straight diagonals with reds and blues on one side and some fairly unsaturated colours in the bacjground on the other... I can only think these clashes are causing the artifacts, but desaturating the colours leaves me without the impact of the Election Party colours!

Maybe there is another way of cheating in these files, whilst preserving my colours. Ouch.

Any help much appreciated

Justin

Return to posts index

David Jones
Re: Nasty, nasty dv artifacting
on Apr 21, 2005 at 1:56:22 pm

Are you running the Avid uncompressed or at 5.1 DV compression?
As your title says, Nasty DV Artifacting.

Return to posts index

Jus
by
on Apr 21, 2005 at 2:47:26 pm

Hi there

[David Jones] "Are you running the Avid uncompressed or at 5.1 DV compression?"

Well, according to our import options on the unity we're importing at dv 25 420 PAL. Whatever compression ratio that is - it's significant(ly crudulous). Everybody's footage gets ingested thus. I believe I'm correct in thinking I cant place an uncompressed file onto the Unity. Unity, by nature of the dv pipeline, compresses all the media ingested in the same fashion. I am however, rendering an uncompressed file to another "storage area" prior to importing into Unity and the editors assigning a video id for tx.

It's not as if I haven't placed some hard, fast, colourful gfx into Unity before, but this particular combination of sat/desat composition has really yeilded some nasty drawbacks to dv compression that have forced me to rethink the design. Now that is a real limitation.

Sulk

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 21, 2005 at 4:30:32 pm

It sounds like your Unity machine may be the culprit. When it imports a file made in an intermediate codec, It may not be as accommodating to it as you'd like.

Is it possible for you to do the compression yourself to the Unity's specifications, make sure it looks okay, and just place it in the Unity?

Return to posts index

Jus
by
on Apr 21, 2005 at 5:29:27 pm

I'm sure it is the culprit. But you've given me an idea...

...I will not render a qt.mov, but a targa seq, and take a look at how it imports them.
And then I will also try rendering to the avid codec, and "dragging over" a file, rather than importing.

Thanks

Justin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]