FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hey Dave!!

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charlie King
Hey Dave!!
on Apr 19, 2005 at 11:17:55 pm

According to Avid, they can't say anything concerning the purchase of Pinnacle for a minimum of 3 weeks, this is a law concering purchases which sets up basically a gag order til the purchase is approved and finalized, so there can be no inside information causing changes in stock market prices.

According to Pinnacle, the purchase will require that AVID stand behind the service and support of all Pinnacle products for the estimated life of the product.

In other words they don't know.

Charlie

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Hey Dave!!
on Apr 20, 2005 at 3:30:57 pm

Thanks for checking, Charlie, I do appreciate it.

I'm not surprised that the Avid folks won't say anything. First, they can't say anything by law. Second, it takes the heat off them from all those confused Cinewave users out there.

Apparently, Pinnacle engineers still exist, and at least one was found on the NAB exhibit floor. This guy implied -- not stated directly -- that we've seen the last of the Cinewave upgrades. The new Mac operating system and the impending release of Final Cut Pro 5.0 only serve to drive the final nails into Cinewave's coffin, I suppose.

So now our engineering staff has a choice to make: get new capture cards that will keep up with software advances and replace other hardware piecemeal, allow our current systems to languish for a few years, or chuck what we have and get all new.

We're in the midst of converting to an all-digital plant, a multi-year project. It's far from cheap -- especially for market 80-something -- but it may include new editing systems. Furthermore, we STILL have a Media 100 v. 6.0 running Mac OS 8.6 on a 9600-233, and our current systems still function nicely. So I think I see what'll happen: as everyone else gets Plymouth Road Runners, we'll still have our Studebakers. Then, boom! The New Ford GT's show up!

But I'd sure like to see those Cinewave boards on the shelf collecting dust with our Blue Ice cards, and sooner than later.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]