FORUMS: list search recent posts

Encoding Not Working Using QuickTime and Compressor

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Ted Martin
Encoding Not Working Using QuickTime and Compressor
on Nov 6, 2018 at 6:21:22 pm

5I am using Compressor 4.4.1 to encode a 15 minute QuickTime (10.5) movie shared from Final Cut Pro (10.4.3) for DVD. I have used the Compressor DVD Creation settings for years without any issue. I haven’t changed any settings and now have run into this issue: Compressor will encode the movie and it completes its encoding with a “successful” at the end. However, compressor only encodes half to 80 percent of the movie. The movie is done up to a point (usually 1 to 8 minutes at the end of the movie is not done by compressor). I currently have OS 10.14.1 (Mojave) on an iMac. I have tried to encode past movies which Compressor had successfully encoded with the same not completely done result. Not sure what is going on—-any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Encoding Not Working Using QuickTime and Compressor
on Nov 6, 2018 at 7:51:08 pm

[Ted Martin] "movie shared from Final Cut Pro (10.4.3) for DVD."

Have you tried exporting the movie entirely from FCPX and then bringing in to Compressor? Personally I've never completely trusted the Share to Compressor function.

Return to posts index

Ted Martin
on Nov 6, 2018 at 8:29:45 pm

It sounds like we both use the same method which is: use Final Cut Pro's "Share" button and send the FCP project to "Master File" which creates a Quicktime movie which I open with Compressor. This route has always worked great for me up until I ran into the "not finishing the ENTIRE movie" issue. What Compressor does finish looks great but it doesn't finish the entire movie. Compressor's "Completed" menu identifies the project as "Successful". Usually anywhere from one minute to half the movie short. Very strange because I can run the Quicktime movie with Compressor four times and the finished product is always short at different spots in the movie. This is the first movie I have tried to create with Mojave. I wonder if that is an issue?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 6, 2018 at 8:34:28 pm

Perhaps reset Preferences of Compressor.
Can you test with another file of similar duration?
That may confirm that it's a file specific issue rather than a genera issue Compressor has.
Also check to see if you have an drive space or RAM issues.

Return to posts index

Ted Martin
on Nov 6, 2018 at 8:58:35 pm

I really appreciate your ideas! I have already tried:

1. reset the preferences
2. I did try to encode a success file from last year which is half the size of the current project with the same "not entire movie" result
3. plenty of drive space with no RAM issues that I can see
4. tried to encode the project on a dinosaur MacPro machine from 2006 using Lion and Compressor 3 with the same "not entire movie result"

Could this be a Quicktime issue?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 6, 2018 at 9:20:22 pm

[Ted Martin] "Could this be a Quicktime issue?"
Mac dropped Quicktime a long time back. It uses AV Foundation now.
If it's failing on two different files and on an old computer with an old OS you have a serious underlying problem.
This is especially so if a file that worked last year isn't working this year.
Please make sure you're testing and reporting correctly because seeing this on a computer with Lion as well doesn't make sense.

[Ted Martin] "3. plenty of drive space with no RAM issues that I can see"

Sorry but subjective comments can't really be evaluated. Given your description something is wrong and your description seem incongruous at this point.

Please read the sticky post at the top of this forum.

Return to posts index

Ted Martin
on Nov 6, 2018 at 10:33:27 pm

I will try to provide more detailed information as suggested in your Sticky Post. I am basing this on my MacBook Pro because I am not near my iMac. I have tried my project on this MacBook Pro with the same "not entire movie" result.

RAM: 8

HD:

Input Codec: Quicktime (10.5)
Output Codec: MPEG-2 For DVD

Destination: Desktop

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 6, 2018 at 10:42:29 pm

[Ted Martin] "Input Codec: Quicktime (10.5)"

Not sure what that means. Quicktime isn't a codec.

Return to posts index

Ted Martin
on Nov 6, 2018 at 10:47:01 pm

Input: Apple ProRes 422

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 6, 2018 at 10:50:19 pm
Last Edited By Craig Seeman on Nov 6, 2018 at 10:51:09 pm

Duration of source File?

Try a short ProRes file of about 10 minutes long.

Return to posts index

Ted Martin
on Nov 6, 2018 at 10:52:37 pm

Duration: 14 minutes 56 seconds

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 7, 2018 at 1:08:34 am

[Ted Martin] "Duration: 14 minutes 56 seconds"

That's reasonably short.
My suggestion is to make create a New User Admin account and test in the new account. That will let you know if it's an account or system or file based issue.

Return to posts index

Ted Martin
on Nov 8, 2018 at 11:31:01 am

Hi Craig,
I was finally able to get back to this issue with Compressor. That you for not giving up on me and this issue. I did create a New User Admin account and the result was the same issue: 15 minute project using one of the Compressor provided templates which was done "successfully" according to Compressor but the finished project was NOT 15 minutes in length but completed at the 8 minute point in the production. It stopped encoding at about the half way point in the production. In addition, I did create another test project which was 8 minutes in length and Compressor did "successfully" complete the 8 minute project BUT this time it ended up 12 minutes in length. No clue at this point.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]