FORUMS: list search recent posts

On-prem file transcoding software options

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Grayson
On-prem file transcoding software options
on Jul 24, 2018 at 12:07:57 am

We are a boutique movie distribution company, and we do a fair amount of general and broadcast video transcoding here, mostly using Adobe Media Encoder and a legacy version of Harmonic Carbon. We are a Windows shop.

We have a project that will have us doing web transcodes for about 6000 hours of library footage. The output will be pretty vanilla: MP4, MPEG-DASH, HLS, WEBM using mostly H.264 codecs (and VP8/9 for WEBM).

None of our legacy workflows can handle the DASH/HLS adaptive containers, so we're looking for a new solution. I've played with a lot of the cloud providers (Bitmovin, Encoding.com, etc.) but they appear to be poor solutions because of 1) Cost and 2) Difficulty in moving our large source files to the cloud.

It seems what was a once a full market of transcoding software (Episode, Carbon, Digital Rapids, Sorenson) is now basically dead. We were evaluating a Sorenson Squeeze Server trial last week, and I saw today they're killing off the product on September 1. The Sorenson pricing was palatable for us ($5000/server).

I've looked the Elemental and Vantage appliances, but the pricing is insanity ($40k+).

We aren't super technical here, at least not technical enough to build out our own FFMPEG workflow to make it all happen (the MP4/WEBM files we could, but DASH/HLS seems over our heads). We do have ample on-prem hardware to attack this with (dozens of Xeon cores).

What's a guy to do?

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
Re: On-prem file transcoding software options
on Jul 24, 2018 at 7:30:16 am

Well, you could hire me to do some custom coding based on open source stuff.
That would be affordable, and no cure no pay.

Contact me direct at bouke at videotoolshed dot com

Bouke
http://www.videotoolshed.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]