FORUMS: list search recent posts

Frame rate conversion

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Grzegorz Kwiatkowski
Frame rate conversion
on Jul 2, 2018 at 3:54:28 am

I produced a 4K documentary in 59,94fps. I am looking for the best software solution to downconvert it to 50, 25 and 24 fps. This is for broadcast, so I can't accept any repeated frames, video stutters or artifacts. I am aware there is a dedicated hardware for it (Teranex Black Magic Design) but before I rent it I would like to check any software solutions. Big thanks!

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
Re: Frame rate conversion
on Jul 2, 2018 at 5:58:37 am

You should have done this before the shoot.
ANYONE could have told you to shoot 23.976 or 24 (or double if you need slomo, or both progressive and interlaced out.
But no, you only now do some research.
Short answer: you are screwed.
Long answer: no way this is going to look good and be easy (as it could have been), so you are screwed big time.

Bouke
http://www.videotoolshed.com

Return to posts index

Grzegorz Kwiatkowski
on Jul 13, 2018 at 4:21:29 am

Hi Bouke,

I wouldn't be so pessimistic about it. The standards for 4K TV vary and sometimes they require 25fps, 29,94fps and sometimes 50fps so having higher frame rate we are able to down convert to lower frame rates. I think the main problem is the drop frame mode. All in all I think I am not totally screwed as you mentioned. Just need a proper hardware conversion.

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Jul 13, 2018 at 6:55:17 am

You are clearly clueless.

Bouke

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Jul 13, 2018 at 1:52:09 pm

Hi folks,

any software frame rate conversion looks crappy, especially when the camera is in motion.
You have to do a hardware conversion. Mostly these are stand-alone boxes or PCIx-cards.
A professional product is the Motion Compensated Converter MCC-4K.
But it is expensive. Any software conversion is not professional.
I would outsource the job to a professional (depends on how often you have to do that).

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

Grzegorz Kwiatkowski
on Aug 1, 2018 at 7:18:12 pm

Yes of course it may look worse but I did some tests on the whole film and it is completely acceptable to the point I wouldn't recognize it was down-converted. Bouke Vahl is a big expert and software creator from whom I even bought a piece of software some time ago but.. he seems to be very extreme in his attitude. I've gone through some very tough technical problems with number of serious broadcasters throughout my producer's journey and if I took seriously comments like "you are screwed and there is no way out" I wouldn't be who I am now. However... thank you Bouke for your essential remark.

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Aug 1, 2018 at 9:08:08 pm

You're welcome.
But you've seem to have missed the essence of my writing. (Apologies in advance if I'm wrong on this one.)
Google will find this. And the exact meaning of my post was to do research and test BEFORE the shoot. Not after.
I don't know why but people dive head first in shallow water and then complain it hurts.

(Oh, this is written on personal title in my free time, not my companies hours.)

Bouke

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 1, 2018 at 10:08:09 pm

[Bouke Vahl] "I don't know why but people dive head first in shallow water and then complain it hurts."

In the "good old days" we would always test a production workflow before committing to is.
Otherwise, cost and/or quality may suffer.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]