FORUMS: list search recent posts

Drone Footage Artifacting When Projected

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian DiLorenzo
Drone Footage Artifacting When Projected
on Jun 25, 2018 at 6:32:48 pm

I recently screened my film for the first time on a 12-foot projector for a small audience. I used the Vimeo preset within Adobe Media Encoder, because I liked the compression algorithm it used and generally is a good fit for sending the file around. Most of our film was shot with the Sony FS700 and the footage looked great on the big screen. Our one drone shot however, which was shot in 4K resolution on the Phantom 4 DJI, the shot did not come out looking great.

The shot has a lot of tree lines, a lot of color, and I noticed when planned back, there was aliasing / moire across many of the objects in frame. This didn't seem quite as obvious on my initial export but seemed intensified on the big screen.

Any suggestions or tips for how to fix this would be much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Grzegorz Kwiatkowski
Re: Drone Footage Artifacting When Projected
on Jul 13, 2018 at 4:33:47 am

I had a similar problem with drone shots some time ago and I partially solved it checking the anti-flicker option on each drone clip in Adobe Premiere (don't remember where it was but it's a native feature in AP). If you edit in Adobe this might be the solution you're looking for.

Return to posts index

Brian DiLorenzo
Re: Drone Footage Artifacting When Projected
on Jul 13, 2018 at 5:17:42 am

Not a 100% sure if it's resolved (haven't tested on a large theater screen) but I believe the issue has been, at least improved, with a 3% Gaussian blur. Don't go too far to the point where you lose sharpness, but it seems to take some of the motion artifacting away.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]