FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trouble with AVCHD Collection

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lauren Kaiser
Trouble with AVCHD Collection
on May 23, 2018 at 2:44:07 pm

Hi all,

Okay so I know this isn't strictly compression although it is about different file formats so I thought this forum might be my best bet. I am having issues with video files when I save them in a certain way/format and I'm wondering why.

This is my workflow and what happens. I put the SD card into a SD card reader plugged into my Mac. I then open the SD Card and I see a folder called Private. After I click Private, I click on an item that says AVCHD, this shows me thumbnails of each video on the SD card. I am then able to double click a thumbnail, which opens the video and then I can save it to my computer, it saves as a QuickTime movie/.mov. This is where I run into trouble. I've noticed that when my footage is saved this way it is often glitchy, it will flicker every now and then or odd pixelation/squares will show up time to time. I've tried opening it in different players, I've imported into different editing programs all to no avail, I don't know why.

When I open the SD cards, I am also able to access the videos as .MTS files, the .MTS files appear to be fine, no weird glitches. Why is this?

I realize it seems that the obvious answer is to just use the MTS files and stop worrying about it, however my footage often gets split up into many MTS files whereas the QuickTime Movies/.mov files allow me to save the entirety of my video as one file which is preferable.

Any ideas why this is happening and if there is some way to save the Quick Time movies without glitches?

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Trouble with AVCHD Collection
on May 23, 2018 at 4:05:51 pm

It's not clear what NLE you're using but I always recommend copying the entire card and letting the NLE bring in the clips.

If you were using cassette tapes (if you go back that far) no one would ever recommend opening the case and pulling out the tape.

Always make a complete backup of the card.
If you have a professional modern NLE it will examine the card metadata so the clips will import properly.

Return to posts index

Lauren Kaiser
on May 23, 2018 at 6:18:57 pm

I feel silly asking, but what does NLE stand for?

Frequently we may record an event, save the video from the card and then use the card again, while previous events are still saved on the cards. If I save the entire card each time, I would end up with a lot of duplicate information and it would take much longer to save.

You think that the problem I'm having with the .mov files could be because I'm not saving the entire card and just saving the .mov files that I want? I'm doing the same thing with the .MTS files though and they are fine.

Thank you for your help, it's much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Lauren Kaiser
on May 23, 2018 at 6:28:17 pm

Sorry to comment again, but I realized NLE was probably non-linear editing system? I don't think the issue is the editing system. The problems occur even when just previewing the video on the computer before importing them to an editing system. I use Premiere Pro, I tried a variety of things in there to fix the issue, but it appears to be the video file. It's just odd that it only happens when it's saved in that way, so I know it's not a camera issue. I don't have Final Cut, but I did also try to import it to iMovie just to see if it it made a difference, which it did not unfortunately. I just don't understand why saving it from the AVCHD Collection would cause an issue, but saving the .MTS files from the stream folder does not.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 23, 2018 at 9:53:25 pm

Some files need the metadata to play correctly.
You may be separating files from the metadata.
Quicktime may play the MTS files but might not be the best decoder.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]