FORUMS: list search recent posts

Combining 10 bit and 8 bit in post, need broadcast quality

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Sparkes
Combining 10 bit and 8 bit in post, need broadcast quality
on Mar 8, 2018 at 4:55:02 pm

I am considering buying the new Sony PXW-Z90V because it will record 10 bit internally. Need a compact camera for the environment I will be shooting in and it is in my price range. I also have a Sony A7RII with several expensive prime lenses for possible B-roll footage (which records and outputs only 8 bit). Looking to create a documentary for broadcast quality which requires 10 bit. Can I combine footage from both cameras, or not? Any suggestions? thanks...

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Combining 10 bit and 8 bit in post, need broadcast quality
on Mar 8, 2018 at 10:53:51 pm

[Bill Sparkes] "Can I combine footage from both cameras, or not?"

I do in FCPX 10.4. Keep in mind that if you're grading 10 bit 4:2:2 will be a bit more flexible than 8 bit 4:2:0.
BTW I also use the Sony PXW-Z90 for ENG style work. I do use Blackmagic Pocket for my interviews because I prefer to keep everything 10 bit but 10 and 8 bit can live in the same timeline as long as your NLE can handle and you're aware of the limits of pushing 8 bit 4:2:0.

Return to posts index

Bill Sparkes
Re: Combining 10 bit and 8 bit in post, need broadcast quality
on Mar 9, 2018 at 1:34:23 am

Thanks Craig.
Any thoughts on 4k 8bit vs HD 10 bit using the Sony PXW-Z90? How do you like the camera in general? Pros and cons? Links to your work using it?
This is the first time I am looking to specifically target broadcast requirements...will be combining field footage and talking head interviews.
How does the BMPC match up with the Z90?
I was thinking the A7RII might match well because both are Sony... and I have all that $ invested already :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]