FORUMS: list search recent posts

2K Compression for Blu-ray

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Kester
2K Compression for Blu-ray
on Aug 6, 2017 at 8:18:18 pm

I'm trying to make a Blu-ray of an 8 minute film to screen at a film festival. I edited in FCP 7 using ProRes HQ clips with a frame size of 2048 x 1152. As I understand it, Blu-ray only supports a maximum frame size of 1920 x 1080. Wondering if I should export using my current 2048 x 1152 ProRes settings, and downsize to 1080 during the Blu-ray encoding phase. Or should I should export out of FCP with 1080 ProRes settings first, then encode for Blu-ray?

Also, this is my first time creating a Blu-ray. Any advice using FCP's Compressor vs Adobe Media Encoder (CS6)??? I found a pretty good rundown on using Compressor for Blu-ray here: https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/20/861769, but that post is fairly old, and wondering if Media Encoder is a better option. (My film is in stereo audio, not 5.1 surround, so some of the info in that link doesn't apply). I'm making a Blu-ray that plays once, no menu or anything, so I don't want to use Encore. Most of the info I've been finding is about using Encore, but I actually don't have access to that software. Planning to encode the video separately, then use a program like Toast to burn it.

Any extra pointers or links explaining good Blu-ray settings for Media Encoder or Compressor would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]