FORUMS: list search recent posts

Denoising to save file size vs add grain to break banding in compression

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh Williams
Denoising to save file size vs add grain to break banding in compression
on Mar 31, 2017 at 2:06:41 pm

Hello,

I am forever trying to work out the best workflow start to finish to end up with videos on YT (and to some extent Vimeo).

I am learning about how much space de noising can save, which as far as I understand means less compression from youtube meaning I can have more control over the image. previously to this I have been adding grain over videos to break up banding and compression artifacts once compressed.

These seem like 2 conflicting ideas, If I denoise before I add grain in, will I save any space or will I just add that back in when I apply grain over the top??

Appreciate you taking the time to read this, any help would be great!

Thanks,
Josh

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Denoising to save file size vs add grain to break banding in compression
on Mar 31, 2017 at 3:36:11 pm

Modern codecs and with modern bandwidth these are becoming much less of an issue. Banding can be a problem at lower data rates. Yet, noise can result in less efficient encoding since encoders are designed to remove information that is similar from frame to frame to reduce size.

It's not a conflict, it's a juggle. You make the aesthetic decision by running test encodes. If vary by content and by distribution method. Vimeo and YouTube can deliver very high data rates so this is much less of an issue these days. If your source is good and you upload 720, 1080, UHD files and service recommended data rates, issues relating to banding or noise are much rarer. Since they're going to crush whatever you give them, sometimes it's hard to improve given their ultimate control.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]