FORUMS: list search recent posts

mp4 for SD based on a iPad style default?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Dougherty
mp4 for SD based on a iPad style default?
on Sep 19, 2014 at 3:44:08 pm

I've been using the iPad default in Compressor as the gold-standard for presentation, looks great and is universal since it's mp4. I'd like to use a version for SD*

However when I try to amend the iPad default** "File Format: h.264 for Apple Devices" I'm locked into size presets that don't apply. As soon as I call up other flavors of h.264 they are all are Quicktime - which is less than universal. What is the best way of getting to a high quality mp4 that is not bound by the apple device size presets?

*in this case anamorphic SD 853x480

**I just want something that will look good playing on a Mac or PC.

Thanks in advance for any ideas,

Paul

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: mp4 for SD based on a iPad style default?
on Sep 19, 2014 at 3:49:25 pm

Version of Compressor?
It's fairly easy in Compressor 4.1.x

Return to posts index

Paul Dougherty
on Sep 19, 2014 at 3:51:21 pm

Thanks Craig, I'm on 3.5, time for upgd:)

Return to posts index

Paul Dougherty
on Sep 22, 2014 at 2:20:37 pm

Sadly Compressor requires an upgrade to the latest OS, which I'm not prepared to do. Can I mimic what it's possible to do in v4 using 3.5?

That is make an high-quality SD mp4?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 22, 2014 at 4:28:28 pm

It's been a while since I've used 3.5. If memory serves me I don't think it could create H.264 .mp4. Quicktime 7 Pro could though and therefore, the free MPEGStreamclip (which uses Quicktime) could as well.
Compressor 3.5 created the older MPEG4 .mp4 which really isn't worth using at all.

I'll have to check to see if there was a way to do it at all in Compressor 3.5. I do remember one "cheat" was to use an iOS preset. The settings can't be altered but the .m4v can be changed by hand to .mp4 since the metadata is otherwise essentially the same. You can't/shouldn't do that with .mov as the metadata is different and can have problems in some players.

Return to posts index

Paul Dougherty
on Sep 25, 2014 at 2:52:42 pm

Thanks Craig,

Since I don;t want to upgrade to the latest OS (req by the Compressor that is for sale) ...my workaround was to bring the Qt into Premier CC which defaults to export h.264/mp4, I then set it to medium data rate but otherwise match the orig Qt.

Paul

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]