FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor 3.5.3 taking WAY too long (110 hours estimate for 60 min clip!)

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Langdon
Compressor 3.5.3 taking WAY too long (110 hours estimate for 60 min clip!)
on Aug 27, 2014 at 12:40:21 pm

Compressor 3.5.3 has begun to perform VERY slow. I have timelines from FCP which have no effects, just need them re-timed from 25fps to 30fps and stretched from 1440x1080 to 1080p, so I am sending them to Compressor. The first two or three went fine, taking the usual 30 minutes for roughly 30-minute sequences being sent over. Then from the third or fourth on, the estimate went up to 114 hours per item. I just let it go all night and it still says 100 hours...!

This happened to me a couple weeks ago, and I stopped using this computer due to such sluggishness.
Now I tried again and Compressor worked fine for 2 or 3 compressions of 30-60 minute timelines from FCP7, but now it started again being VERY very slow.

Random (or not) information: I recently had to exchange the ram on this unit, due to somewhat constant gray-screen crashes. The Apple reseller exchanged all the 16gb of ram and so far, no more gray screen crashes. Unrelated or not, I wonder. This sluggishness was not happening before the RAM exchange.

I know there are Compressor Repair applications, and I also wonder if the Batch Monitor is bonkers or something... very frustrating, because I have the MacMini for precisely this reason: to compress stuff while I work using my other macbookpro.

System:
macmini late 2013 - 16gb ram - 2.5 ghz i7 - 256gb SSD
FCP 7.0.3 - Compresssor 3.5.3

Return to posts index

Eric Strand
Re: Compressor 3.5.3 taking WAY too long (110 hours estimate for 60 min clip!)
on Sep 4, 2014 at 2:46:02 am

Did you try Reset Background Processing in the File or Compressor menu? I forget which menu header it is under. Since the first few encodes are going fine, maybe it's just the RAM getting clogged up and your machine needs to shut down for a bit?

@ericstrand11

Return to posts index

Alan Langdon
Re: Compressor 3.5.3 taking WAY too long (110 hours estimate for 60 min clip!)
on Sep 4, 2014 at 2:52:46 am

This may be the case, I will try that option. I recently had to exchange the RAM on this macmini in fact, something was wrong with the ram that came with it (16gb).

Although I have in the meantime started experimenting with Compressor 4.1.3 and loving the ease of use of the presets and destinations... !

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]