FORUMS: list search recent posts

What is the BEST encoding Software/Hardware?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Blake Porter
What is the BEST encoding Software/Hardware?
on Jul 14, 2014 at 1:25:44 am

It's 2014. What's the best software / hardware for creating exceptional video quality (mp4's) and friendly playability for internet? Is there a "best"?

Return to posts index

Eric Strand
Re: What is the BEST encoding Software/Hardware?
on Jul 14, 2014 at 6:37:07 pm

Telestream's Episode is well regarded and used: http://www.telestream.net/episode/overview.htm

We have a Matrox CompressHD card which greatly speeds up encode times without loss in quality: http://www.matrox.com/video/en/products/compresshd/
However you're limited in the amount of parameters you can adjust.

Handbrake, the free encoder, uses x.264 and allows you to customize the parameters.

@ericstrand11

Return to posts index

Matt Wiggins
on Jul 14, 2014 at 8:07:20 pm

Nothing beats MPEG Streamclip.

I've used almost all of the major compression software made for professional use in recent times, and I always come back to MPEG Streamclip.

First off, it is completely free, so it puts it way above software like Sorenson Squeeze (800 bucks). Apple's Compressor isn't too pricey, but I've always had a problem with it being painfully slow when encoding H.264's. I've even had bad compressions come out of Compressor (corrupt files and dropped frames), and it occasionally crashes on me. Streamclip has always been fast and reliable. Once I learned I could batch compress in Streamclip, I've never used anything else, and I can't think of any reasons that would deter anyone of any skill level from using it. It makes distributing TV spots in all of the various formats so much easier for me.

The only thing I wonder about is that the last non beta release of MPEG Streamclip was released back in 2008 - hopefully support of Streamclip hasn't been completely abandoned and will continue to work flawlessly with future Mac operating systems.

Download it here: http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html
Learn about batch processing here:

Happy Encoding!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 14, 2014 at 8:20:17 pm

[Matt Wiggins] "
The only thing I wonder about is that the last non beta release of MPEG Streamclip was released back in 2008 - hopefully support of Streamclip hasn't been completely abandoned and will continue to work flawlessly with future Mac operating systems."

It's probably End Of Life (ceased development) because it's based on Quicktime Frameworks and components and Apple is now using AVFoundation (CoreMedia). It's the same reason why Perian ceased as did MyComet's Quicktime x264 component.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]