FORUMS: list search recent posts

Bad buffering! Bad!

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Blake Porter
Bad buffering! Bad!
on Jul 9, 2014 at 6:40:17 pm

We just switched from creating flv's to Mp4 for our website. Big trouble!! Viewer's are having all sorts of buffering issues.
Maybe someone out there can see if I'm doing something wrong. Here's how I prepared my mp4 web video:

With Adobe Media Encoder v. 5.0.1.0.
Import a large edited prores (1920x1080). This was edited in FCP and rendered in Compressor.

My settings in Adobe Media Encoder
H.264
1,280 x 720
square
Level: 3.2
VBR, 2 Pass
Target Bit 6
Max Bit 9
Use Max Render Quality

Using above isn't working well. Lowering the bitrate hurts quality.

Could the buffering issues with with the website Player??

Thank you for lookin!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Bad buffering! Bad!
on Jul 9, 2014 at 7:54:06 pm

It could be your bit rate relative to the viewer's internet connection.
It's also conceivable that there's an issue on the web backend.

You may want to post a link for someone to check.

Your workflow doesn't make sense to me.
You should use either Compressor or AME.
Throwing out data after throwing out data is never a good thing.

Return to posts index

Blake Porter
on Jul 9, 2014 at 8:15:56 pm

Unfortunately posting a link won't work because I took the mp4 down and put the flv back up.

"Work Flow" Starting at XDCAM size and needing to reduce to 640x360. I would get best results by rendering a full size uncompressed file, then using that file for rendering smaller versions. i,e. NOT going directly out of FCP to Compressor to create a smaller version.

But things ARE changing... now I need to go from FCP (1920x1080 prores) to a 1280x720 mp4 that is great quality AND internet friendly to play.

I decided to try taking the uncompressed, full size prores to AME for creating the mp4.

Open to suggestions!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 9, 2014 at 8:42:20 pm

[Blake Porter] "I decided to try taking the uncompressed, full size prores to AME for creating the mp4."
That would be a good workflow.

You need to check the resultant bit rate of the file(s) after encoding and see what that is. You may need to change the bit rate.

You may need to consider the speed of your viewers' internet connections or encode different files for different connections.

Return to posts index

Blake Porter
on Jul 9, 2014 at 8:49:58 pm

[Craig Seeman] "You need to check the resultant bit rate of the file(s) after encoding and see what that is. You may need to change the bit rate.

Dumb question: How/where can I see the bitrate after rendering?

You may need to consider the speed of your viewers' internet connections or encode different files for different connections."

That is the name of the game! (Viewers are a cross section of our country)

Here another question: How can Youtube take my big HD file and play it, high quality, without buffering?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 9, 2014 at 10:28:42 pm

[Blake Porter] "Dumb question: How/where can I see the bitrate after rendering?"

Quicktime Window>Show Movie Inspector
will show you the average bit rate.

[Blake Porter] "Here another question: How can Youtube take my big HD file and play it, high quality, without buffering?"

People can get buffering on YouTube as well. YouTube offers multiple sizes though so the viewer picks what's appropriate.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Jul 12, 2014 at 5:20:31 pm

I am not such a stickler for the largest frame size. Try encoding a 960 x 540 frame at a lower bitrate and see how that works even full screen. And then try an 832 x 468 and see how that holds up. I am always impressed how I can make an 832 x 468 movie and it looks fantastic on iPhones and iPads etc, and even holds up on a 1920 x 1080 monitor with a great user experience.

I am more about the experience (which is what you have here....the buffering issue) rather than strictly making a large frame size.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Blake Porter
on Jul 12, 2014 at 5:32:45 pm

You're right the functionality experience needs to be easy. Hopefully flawless.
I offer 2 sizes for viewers.
Most still watch via computers. Assume they take it full screen, so they get HD 720.
The other version is 640x360

Im looking for the best possible quality on the planet. I need the best technique/software/hardware available for playing videos via our website!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]