FORUMS: list search recent posts

Having trouble converting MP2s

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ariel Brothman
Having trouble converting MP2s
on Jun 19, 2014 at 2:15:47 pm

Hi all,

I have several hundred video files to convert and/or compress, and I'm having a lot of trouble with the MP2s. The files come from all different kinds of companies, so they are all different sizes and used different encoding processes.

My goal is to get these files to less than 20 MB (they range from about 25 MB to 600ish MB), and so I have opted to convert them into another format (I've been having a little luck with MP4) and compress from there. My problem is that I'm having trouble even getting them to convert. Most of my conversion/compression programs will not put the audio and video in the same file, which is problematic. Adobe Media Encoder does sometimes, but it often gets stuck converting one file for several hours (I've left it overnight and came back in the morning to find it stuck in the same spot as I left it), and sometimes it doesn't output the audio. These are not very long video files, so it really shouldn't take that long.

Any ideas? Is there a setting I should perhaps be aware of in Adobe Media Encoder, or is there another program I should be using? I know there probably isn't a quick way to do this, but at this point I'm having trouble just getting it done at all so I'm willing to put in time for a good result. Thanks in advance!!

Ariel

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Having trouble converting MP2s
on Jun 19, 2014 at 3:06:49 pm

MPEG2 Program, Transport, Elementary Streams?
Elementary wouldn't have audio.
I'm not sure of AME's ability to handle all the above nor what version you're using.

You may want to test with a trail version of Telestream Episode or Sorenson Squeeze.

Compressing a heavily compressed file is always going to be a quality hit so do realize what you're losing for the size reduction.

You'd probably want to use x264 codec CABAC Entropy High Profile for best possible quality .mp4 files if using either of the above.

You might also want to test using Handbrake to see if it can handle your source formats.

Return to posts index

Ariel Brothman
on Jun 19, 2014 at 6:38:10 pm

Hey Craig, thanks for responding!

The size limit is non-negotiable, unfortunately :( it's the maximum that the database I'm using can handle. These files don't have to be broadcast quality, but I am trying to keep them as HQ as possible. A few pixelated scenes here and there won't hurt.

I'm relatively new to the world of formatting and video settings, so I just looked up the streams you mentioned. I believe I've actually had output files of all three stream types, depending on the program I'm using and the settings I try...

-Squeeze 6.5 -> divides into Transport streams when I import.
-Handbrake just closes when I try to encode.
-Telestream won't even open for me, at the moment.
-Aimersoft -> Elementary
-MPEG Streamclip -> no video, no audio
-Adobe Media Encoder has varied results. It will sometimes output to Program...other times it'll be Elementary, or it will just have really awful white noise. Or everything will be black and possibly silent. I'd say slightly upwards of 50% of files go through with Media Encoder.

You suggested a certain codec in Squeeze - do you know of a way to change the settings in Squeeze so that it imports as one file instead of one for audio and one for video?

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 19, 2014 at 7:09:29 pm

Both Squeeze and Episode have x264 codec. The encoders in both programs would generally allow you to switch from MainConcept H.264 to x264 (which is better quality).

Episode and, I believe Squeeze, support MPEG2 Program, Transport, Elementary Streams as sources. You may need to make sure you're using current versions.

I means supported as input
http://www.telestream.net/pdfs/datasheets/Episode6_Format_Support.pdf

Input also listed
http://www.sorensonmedia.com/squeeze/squeeze-9/squeeze-standard/#requiremen...
Squeeze 9. Version 6.5 is an antique.

Episode is version 6.4.3.

So if you can't open an MPEG2 source in either, either you source has an issue, may not be "standard" in some fashion or, you're not using current version.

Return to posts index

Ariel Brothman
on Jun 23, 2014 at 2:17:03 pm

I have a feeling it's more than one issue - I definitely don't have the latest version of Squeeze and I think something is wrong with my Episode, as it won't even open. And perhaps some of the sources have issues, as I mentioned that some were converting or compressing and some were not.

I'll work on it and post here if anything changes. Thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]