FORUMS: list search recent posts

handbreak mp-4 won't play in QT player

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
handbreak mp-4 won't play in QT player
on Jun 13, 2014 at 11:43:52 pm

Hope someone can help me get this file compressed.

Here is original timeline in FCP X

Here is timeline info in inspector

Here is shared master file - plays fine in quick time player

here is hand break settings

here is mp-4 that won't open in quick time player

here is a small range in timeline that I selected and repeated all these steps and plays fine in quick time.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: handbreak mp-4 won't play in QT player
on Jun 14, 2014 at 2:28:23 am

Perhaps test using a Handbrake preset unaltered as a first test.
You don't show the audio codec. Perhaps it's a non standard combination like PCM audio.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 14, 2014 at 6:20:34 am

Well I tried a short range of the project and it plays fine before and after handbrake. I tried the entire timeline on a super fast setting in handbrake and it still doesn't play. The only setting that's not the default is to transcode "slow".

If it had some weird audio codec that was not compatible with QT why would the master file play and the short clip of the timeline with the same settings play?

But that said the original file in FC does read in the inspector as "linear pcm."

What would you suggest I try in handbreak for an audio codec?

I've used handbreak to compress other projects that were shot with the same P2 camera with no problems.

Is it possible QT has a size limit for mp-4 files?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 14, 2014 at 1:53:51 pm

Quicktime may not like H.264 .mp4 with PCM audio. Many people make that mistake.
Please use a preset (list which one) without any changes.

To trouble shoot you must start with "known good" control which are Hankbrake presets unaltered.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 14, 2014 at 4:11:17 pm

How do I change below to a Handbreak "preset" without changes. After opening program I am not changing anything except the slider that determines the speed of the encode.

Do I use the toggle presets button?

Also if the problem is the audio (even though it worked with a portion of the project) what change should I make in the audio tab.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 14, 2014 at 4:24:59 pm

Handbrake version 0.9.9 (make sure you're using this current version).
Toggle Presets on the right. Select Regular and then Normal. Then Encode (change nothing).

BTW Audio default would be AAC (CoreAudio) Stereo Auto (which is sample rate) 160 (which is bit rate).

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 14, 2014 at 4:43:25 pm
Last Edited By Craig Alan on Jun 14, 2014 at 4:45:05 pm

I'll have to check when I get back to work on Monday. But so far this all matches what I have been using. Does it matter if I set below to slow?

also should I choose universal from the preset list

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 14, 2014 at 5:00:37 pm

Chose Normal.
Universal includes AAC and AC3 (ffmpeg) and I'd rather avoid the latter to keep things simple.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 16, 2014 at 8:06:03 pm
Last Edited By Craig Alan on Jun 16, 2014 at 8:30:21 pm

Same result. QT player will open exported master file .mov but not the HandBreak .mp4. I tried again with no adjustments and the audio was actually as you said as was all the other settings. The only thing i ever did differently in Handbreak was adjusting the slider to read slow which I understand improves the quality. This time I skipped that and left everything alone. There must be something in the master that does not convert to mp4 correctly.

Been using this workflow for a while and never had this problem.

I'm going to try a different export out of FCP X 720p for apple devices.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 16, 2014 at 8:34:36 pm

Have you tested in both Quicktime 7.6.6 and Quicktime 10.3?
Have you tested the file in VLC 2.1.4?

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 16, 2014 at 11:40:45 pm

no. just 10.3.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 17, 2014 at 3:29:22 am

Test in the other two. That would confirm that the issue is QT 10.3 and not the file.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 17, 2014 at 4:08:25 am

But it opens up other mp4s encoded in the same way. Unless the problem is the size of the mp4.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 17, 2014 at 4:11:47 am

Regardless. please test in the other players.
If you want help follow my instructions.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 18, 2014 at 1:55:31 am

Will do. Will test it tomorrow.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 18, 2014 at 2:28:25 am

QT7 uses Quicktime. QT 10.3 uses CoreMedia. VLC has it's own.
This can determine if it's the source/encode at issue vs the ability of certain players under certain circumstances.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 19, 2014 at 9:02:23 pm
Last Edited By Craig Alan on Jun 19, 2014 at 9:18:45 pm

I tried QT 7.6.3 and the error message read this is not a QT file even though the icon of the file is the QT symbol.

I tried it in VLC 2.1.4. It would open the shorter one that also opens in QT but not the ones that QT would not open.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 19, 2014 at 9:37:41 pm

So if all three player (VLC, QT7, QT 10.3) have issues then there would be an issue with the encode it seems.

In HandBrake main window, you'll see a checkbox that says "Large file size." Enable that and try doing the encode again.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 20, 2014 at 3:49:55 am

That makes sense. Small ranges of the same timeline encoded in handbreak just fine.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 20, 2014 at 11:41:32 pm

Yes. That did the trick. I checked the "Large file size." Set the encode to slow and ended with a 5+gig file that is better than a FCP X share.

Thanks, Craig.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 21, 2014 at 2:43:02 am

Good to hear. I wonder what the threshold for "Large File Size" is given that "large" by itself, is subjective.
I wonder what it might be changing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]