FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hardware Acceleration for H264 Compression and Conversion

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Elliot M. Smith
Hardware Acceleration for H264 Compression and Conversion
on May 30, 2014 at 7:35:31 am

Hi,

I have a job where I have to do a lot of h264 conversions. Some of it's compressing to h264 for YouTube and similar sites, other times it's ripping BluRays then converting them to ProRes for projects, Other times it's converting 5D footage. It takes forever and I have several Mac Pros at my disposal, including 12 core behemoths. These are the pre-trashcan ones. When I'm converting it's not using all 12 cores much of the time, this is using mpeg Streamclip usually.

- I've looked into Matrox CompressHD, but that's about authoring h264 apparently, and not about converting that into prores.
- El Gato looks interesting, but I can't tell if they make that anymore, it seems limited, and the results I hear don't look so good.
- I've been thinking what if I got a video card that played well with OpenCL to speed h264 conversion, has anyone tried that?

Basically, I know that h264 is a transport stream, it's not the best source material. I know it's processor intensive. I also know that for my job I have to convert stuff from 1080p h264 into ProRes 422. A lot. And it's taking forever, and I'm in no position to change that. So does anyone have any ideas on what I can use to speed this process up? I'll spend money if it'll work, but I can't get the boss to break the bank too badly.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Hardware Acceleration for H264 Compression and Conversion
on May 30, 2014 at 12:59:51 pm

So you're going FROM H.264 TO ProRes?
The H.264 accelerators are generally for going TO H.264.

If you have several Mac Pros have you considered making a QMaster Cluster with Compressor?

I'm not sure how fast it is but there's RedGiant Bullet Proof. You may to download that as a trial.
http://www.redgiant.com/products/all/bulletproof/features/#tabs

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on May 30, 2014 at 4:36:00 pm

I don't think mpeg stream clip is multi threaded so it won't be using all your cores.

Adobe Media Encoder and Apple Compressor do though.

Return to posts index

Elliot M. Smith
on May 31, 2014 at 6:52:23 pm

Thanks both of you for the suggestions. I think I'll try Adobe Media Encoder. I may try compressor, but I'm going to have to train a non-post person on how to do this and the learning curve on compressor may be too much. I'd love to set up a multi-CPU Qmaster deal, but which Mac Pros are available switches too often, so we gotta stick to one. Thanks for the great ideas.

If anyone has any hardware acceleration options for ProRes or h264 I'm still interested in that.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jun 3, 2014 at 2:13:11 pm

Have you tried the Handbrake software?

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Elliot M. Smith
on Jun 4, 2014 at 8:29:20 pm

Yes, I use that as part of my transcode process from BluRay to ProRes, it's nice, but I'd like to go faster.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]